Chapter 4 - The Promise

"Jacob, let go of him," Sam's voice came to me through a haze of sleep.

"No," Jacob snarled, his voice low and threatening. "He's mine."

As if to confirm this fact, I felt a pair of arms tighten around me. The smell of cinnamon rolls was in the air. Emily must be in a good mood if she got up early to make them. The woody smell of Jacob was pressing in around me, making it hard to breathe, reminding me simultaneously of old spice body deodorant, earth, and pine.

I hated it.

Maybe I wouldn't have loathed it, if not for the fact that it was Jacob who was the source. Again, hating was natural, but it was intensified in Jacob's case.

I loved freedom, and Jacob was depriving me of it. The possessive and sexual thoughts he was continually having about me were gradually getting worse and it wasn't helping his cause.

The last month, the first of the three months I had left to remain unclaimed, had been just awful. He was always with me, hovering like a mother, and viciously attacking anyone who touched me, intentionally or not. He had broken Embry's nose twice for brushing up against me during a patrol. He had snapped Leah's arm when she gave me a pat on the back for beating her in a race. Jared and Paul had both had their tails bitten and their legs twisted for the monumental crime of teasing me. Even Sam wasn't safe. He had given me a spanking, which I still got if I needed them, when he caught me trying to make calls to the FBI and the end result was a scar to match Emily's.

I had been kind of annoyed at this; we had been raised that way and Sam was giving me justly deserved punishment.

Jacob's excuse: "If he needs to be disciplined, I'll be the one to do it. No one else is going to punish my mate."

Quil was the only one unscathed but I knew it wouldn't be long before he suffered because of Jacob imprinting on me.

If not for the pack's ability to heal, Jacob might have put the entire group in the hospital in just a few hours.

They had since fallen into the routine of giving me a wide berth, never coming too close where they might accidentally touch me and end up in the hospital. The only physical contact was with Emily and Jacob. Since Emily was human and already imprinted on Jacob allowed her to at least give me a hug. Otherwise Jacob was the only one who could touch me, kissing or stroking my face, whispering things like: "beautiful" or, "my Seth." If a stranger had some to town, he would have thought that my name was "Mine."

Stupid imprint.

But Emily was the only one. I hadn't gone back to school yet and Jacob had expressly forbidden me to talk to any of my old friends, especially Kim. If I did see them, which was rare, it was always in the company of Jacob. He would usually do one of two things: drag me away from them, muttering curse words that would make a sailor blush, or kiss me possessively, making sure that my friends saw that I was his.

When I did go back to school, I knew it would be to pretty much the same thing as with the pack. They would avoid me and if they didn't, it would be that they were suicidal or just plain crazy. Add in the fact that I was already considered gay by the whole non-werewolf community and you have a great recipe for an awful school year to look forward to.

My life had become a living hell and there was nothing I could do to stop it. None of this made me like my overprotective imprinter any more. In fact, I liked him less every day, if I had liked him at all.

"It's just for a few hours, maybe less." I felt a hand touch my arm, trying to get a grip on it. That was Sam. I could tell by the direction of his voice that he was right next to the bed, just a few inches from where I lay, wrapped in Jacob's way too possessive embrace.