chapter one

"Y/N, time to get up," your mother called.

"mom, it's spring break!" you groaned from your bed, rolling over. "i'm not waking up early!"

"your dad is taking you to the zoo today," she replied. "hurry up and get ready before the exhibits get crowded."

reluctantly, you get out of bed. the zoo, great, you think.

your dad is always about "bonding time" which usually consists of going on a day trip with him telling awful dad jokes while you suffer.

a few minutes later, you and your dad piled in the car and started heading to the zoo.

you sat in the backseat to avoid conversation, and put your headphones in.

when you got there, your dad excitedly got out of the car and started heading for the exhibits. sighing, you hurried after him.

"what do you want to see first, Y/N?" he asked. "anything is fine," you say.

"come on, make a choice," he prompted.

"alright... how about the reptiles?" you ask awkwardly.

he nodded and they set off. once they arrived, your dad studied the snakes for 15 minutes, commenting on their lengths.

"hey, Y/N!" he said. "what is a snake's favorite subject in school?"

"what?" you said, sighing.

"hissssstory!" he laughed.

"great job, dad." you said, not bothering to hide your disappointment.

"attention, zoo visitors," an announcer came over the intercom. "while the exhibits may be exciting, don't forget about Zoo HQ! it's a great place to learn, and a fun place for teens to hang out and make new friends!"

you saw your dad perk up at word 'teens'. "Y/N," he said, putting a big cheesy smile on his face. "why don't you go check that out? you can meet me back here by 12:00."

"dad, no. i don't need to go hang out with other kids and 'learn'. that's called school!" you protested.

"what's the worst that could happen? go on. you never know, you might become friends with someone new!"

you open your mouth to say 'no' again, but he started walking away and called "see you at 12!"

you twisted your face into a frustrated expression, but started heading towards Zoo HQ anyway.

after wandering for a few minutes, you see a brightly colored sign with 'Zoo HQ' printed on it. hesitantly, you enter.

the building had a tan interior, with books and computers scattered everywhere. there was a girl with long black hair and a green sweatshirt behind the front desk. "welcome to Zoo HQ!" she said chirpily. "i'm olive. what's your name?"

"hi, i'm Y/N," you replied awkwardly.

"nice to meet you. ray, come meet Y/N!" olive called.

a boy with a baseball cap, a black t-shirt, and a golden chain waved from across the room.

"and finally, daryl," olive said, pointing to a boy leaning over a bookshelf.

daryl straightened and turned towards you. he had gorgeous brown skin, with curly black hair and brown eyes. he had a unique fashion sense--he wore a green shirt with a denim vest and flared jeans. a gold pocket watch was visible on his pants.

he was quite... handsome.

"nice to meet you," he said.

his voice was soft and sensual.

you find your voice caught in your throat.

try to be cool, try to be cool, you think.

"yo, familam," you find yourself saying.

daryl looked confused.

"uh, hi." he said. "hey, want to learn about the african rainforest with me?" he asked.

"i'd love to!" you said eagerly.

your heart beating, you leaned over the bookshelf he was looking at.

"rainforests... am i right?" you say awkwardly.

oh god, what am i doing?

daryl gets a book and says, "come on. i'll read to you."

you follow him to a couch and sit next to him.

he began to read.