chapter eight

your dad's car sputtered loudly as the engine came to life.

he was driving you to the park for your date with daryl. you were looking forward to the date, but the car ride, well, not so much. you knew what conversation was coming.

"so," he said.

oh boy. here it comes.

"how are things between you and daryl? you two seem to be getting...close." he began.

"yeah," you agreed. "daryl's a great friend."

you weren't exactly ready to tell your dad about you and daryl yet. you were worried that he would make things weird. that seemed to be his expertise.

"friend?" your dad asked.

"yep," you said quickly, praying that he would just drop it and change the topic. even him telling you some sort of cheesy animal pun would be better than this.

but alas, god did not seem to be on your side.

"come on, y/n. drop the act. the other day when you and daryl were having a sleepover, i checked in and i saw you guys sleeping together. cuddling. just like a couple."

"you—i—you saw that?!" you exclaimed, your throat constricting.

your dad nodded in reply.

you sighed. there was no use hiding it anymore.

"fine," you said. "daryl...is my boyfriend."

"okay," your dad said.

"okay? that's it? you're not going to give me some speech? you're not going to crack some bad jokes? you're not going to make things weird?"

"would you like me to?"

"no!" you said.

you sighed again. there. your dad knew about you and daryl. that was that.

at last, your dad pulled into the park and let you out of the car.

"have fun," he told you, as you got out.

"thanks dad," you said.

"and y/n?" he continued. "i'm happy for you. daryl's a nice boy. i think he'll be good for you. no, i know he'll be good for you."

"thank you, dad."

you closed the car door and went up the concrete steps towards the entrance of the park where you were supposed to meet daryl.

you pulled out your phone. daryl hadn't texted you with an "i'm here," or an "i'm on way," yet.

you put your phone back in your pocket and stood awkwardly, waiting for him. you were very much aware of your dad still parked a couple yards away, watching you.

awkward.

awkward.

awkw—

"y/n!"

it was daryl!

"daryl!" you said, grateful for an end to the awkwardness.

zoo hq: daryl x readerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें