chapter two

"and so that's why rainforests could potentially be completely gone eventually!" said daryl excitedly.

you hadn't exactly been listening to what he was ranting on about though. you had been focusing more on his beautiful eyes.

"wow, that's really cool!" you said, trying to engage in the conversation.

a wave of sadness flashed through daryl's eyes.

realizing what you just said, you try and correct yourself, "oh i mean, not cool like cool but cool like sad. cause you know... the rainforests will be gone or whatever."

daryl's eyes brightened again, and he looked at your face. "i'm glad you're a rainforest advocate, Y/N. would you like to come to get a snack and discuss rainforests more-" he paused, remembering the word you used earlier, "-familam?"

your heart beat faster in your chest as you realised what he was saying. was he asking you on a date? you didn't know, but all you cared about was that you were going to spend more time with daryl.

"of course!" you eagerly replied. "where to?"

a few minutes later, you and the beautiful piece of man named daryl were walking towards a pizza parlour in the penguin area of the zoo.

he was being very quiet, and there was an awkward tension in the air. you wanted to reach down and grab his hand, but restrained yourself.

eventually, daryl seemed to not be able to take the silence any longer, and broke it with a question. "so... you like jazz?"

you started at him in awe. musical men were definitely your type.

"i do, actually. do you?"

a blush crept across his face and he nodded. "it's my favourite type of music."

you smiled, glad to know that you had something in common.

"what's your favourite animal?" you asked, wanting to know more about him.

daryl smiled, "bees. they're such a wonderful and important part of the ecosystem."

something about the fact that daryl liked bees made you even more attracted to him. "i saw a movie about bees once. it was very-" you fluttered your eyelashes at him as your voiced raised a pitch, "-romantic."

daryl stopped walking suddenly, and you nearly ran into him. then he said something you never would have expected.