Chapter 1

Novakit opened her eyes and quickly closed them again, the sun was shining right into them. She turned around and tried to go back to sleep, her rest had not been refreshing. Lot's of bad dreams had plagued her sleep last night.

"Novakit wake up." A soft nose nudged her side. "All the other kits are already up and today is important." Whitewing said, her voice brimming with pride.

Novakit opened her amber eyes and rolled over into a sitting position. "What's so important?" Then she hopped up, remembering. "I'm becoming an apprentice today!"

Whitewing purred as Novakit raced outside of the den. The kit could see has Firestar emerged from his den and leaped onto the High Ledge.

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey gather below the High Ledge for a clan meeting!" The ginger tom's voice rang out.  Novakit skidded to a halt beside her friends Songkit, Redkit, and Lakekit.

Songkit and Redkit were sisters, their parents were Firestar and Sandstorm. Novakit's parents were Ashfur and Whitewing, making her half sisters with Dovewing and Ivypool. Lakekit didn't have any kin, she was found abandoned in their territory but Ashfur and Whitewing had taken her in so she was pretty much like Novakit's sister.

Firestar looked down on the kits. "Today is an important day for four kits. Novakit."

Novakit stepped forward nervously but tried to look brave.

"Novakit you are ready to be apprenticed, from this point until  you have received your warrior name you shall be known as Novapaw. Ivypool will be your mentor, I hope she passes on everything she knows."

Ivypool stepped forward and Novapaw touched her nose to the white and gray tabby. Ivypool smiled at her and Novapaw smiled back.

Firestar went on to have Dovewing mentor Lakepaw, Lionblaze mentor Songpaw, and Cinderheart mentor Redpaw.

"So now what?" Novapaw asked her mentor.

"Hmmm, how about we patrol the territory?" Ivypool asked. "Hey Dovewing!" She called to her sister. "Do you and Lakepaw want to go around the territory with me and Novapaw?"

Dovewing padded over with Lakepaw on her heels. She nodded her head. "Sure, let's go. Right now?"

Ivypool nodded and the four cats went through the entrance tunnel.

A rustle in the undergrowth alerted the four cats when they emerged into the forest. "Prey?" Novapaw asked extedly, her tail waving straight up in the air.

A large white cat with jet black paws stepped out and behind him were several foreign warriors. "No, predators." He growled bearing his teeth.

It was Blackstar, leader of Shadow clan. And they were about to attack.