Chapter 2

WARNING : violence is going to be in this chapter, probably more descriptive than what you usually read in Erin Hunter's books!

Novapaw's fur bristled and she unsheathed her claws instinctively. She glared at the Shadowclan warriors as they emerged from the bushes. There were so many of them!

"Get back into camp, I'll stall them." Ivypool hissed to Dovewing, Lakepaw, and Novapaw.

But Novapaw wouldn't have been able to move even if she wanted to. All she knew was that Shawdowclan couldn't get into her camp.

As the first wave of cats hit Novapaw just sank her teeth into flesh, not knowing any skills that were needed. She raked the cat with her claws and deep gashes appeared, causing the cat to yelp and scramble away.

Novapaw looked down at her gray paws, now stained with blood. She felt shocked. Her claws had cut deeper than she had intended or had strength enough. She didn't have time to ponder this as a Shadowclan apprentice bowled her over.

Novapaw yowled in surprise and pain as the ginger tom's claws pricked her pelt. She lashed out but missed as he ducked and sank his jaws into her shoulder.

She shrieked as pain spidered down her foreleg. Novapaw kicked out her back legs and made contact with her foe's underbelly. She managed too knock him off her and scrape his underbelly.

Novapaw rose to her paws and while the tom was still recovering she lashed out clumsily with her forepaw. Her paw connected with his cheek and blood sprayed her fur.

The ginger apprentice screamed and dashed away, leaving Novapaw heaving. I don't like fighting. She decided, feeling horrible and sticky and covered in blood. Not to mention that her shoulder felt like it was on fire.

A black she-cat bounded towards her with claws extended and Novapaw braced herself. Just as the Shadowclan warrior jumped a ginger tom barreled into her side. Firestar!

The leader lashed out at the black cat and clawed her side. Both cats rose up on their hind legs and fought like hares.

Novapaw felt pain stab her scruff as she got dragged backward. She yowled and tried to twist out of their grasp but that stretched her shoulder wound and caused it to start bleeding again.

"Calm down, I'm saving your skin." Ivypool's voice growled.

Novapaw let herself go limp as she was dragged into a bushel of ferns. She felt the grip on her scruff loosen and scrambled out of Ivypool's jaws.

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" Ivypool snarled, the fur on her shoulders beginning to bristle. "I told you to get back into camp!" She leaned over and sniffed Novapaw's wounded shoulder.

"I'm fine!" Novapaw assured loudly, jerking herself away from the white and gray tabby.

Ivypool flicked her tail dismissively. "Get back to camp and have Jayfeather clean your wounds." She stepped through the ferns, flattening them. "That's an order." Then she leapt back into the battle.

Novapaw sighed and stood, she supposed that Ivypool was right but part of her wanted to keep fighting. She dodged through the forest of legs and the tangle of pelts into camp.

Brackenfur and Brambleclaw were sentries at the entrance to the camp while Ferncloud was guarding the entrance to the nursery. Dovewing brushed past her and went to join the battle.

Novapaw limped towards the medicine den and was met with Lakepaw, Redpaw, and Songpaw. They bombarded her with questions but Novapaw's shoulder was really starting to hurt and she just limped past them.

She entered the medicine den, pushing past the hanging vines. "Hello?" She mewed, feeling the tranquil ambiance of the medicine den wash over her.

Jayfeather looked at her ad is he could see her. "What is it?" He snapped, shoving a last pile of herbs together.

"Um, it's my shoulder." Novapaw mumbled, a bit unnerved ny Jayfeather's piercing eyes and sharp tongue.

Jayfeather grumbled something under his breath before he padded over. Novapaw was amazed at how confident he was with his footing.

Jayfeather sniffed her wound before he lightly touched it with his muzzle. Novapaw flinched away from him because that made her scrape hurt more.

The tom grew rigid and his muzzle was still touching her bloody shoulder. Novapaw stepped away, wondering if he was having some kind of fit.

The small gray medicine cat began to speak in a raspy and hoarse voice. "Out of the darkness a star will shine with claws sharp and mind bright, to vanquish the frost that lurks with a pelt of night."