I

Diana Gaertner scaled an old red oak tree near the edge of her family's property as steady beat of a walking drum pounded in the crisp afternoon air

Diana Gaertner scaled an old red oak tree near the edge of her family's property as steady beat of a walking drum pounded in the crisp afternoon air. Whispers of early winter left a bitter chill in the air as battalions of Confederate soldiers mobilized to meet General Sherman's campaign before it reached the sea. Looking down the dirt road, she knew it wouldn't be long. Testing a thick branch about head high, she perched herself comfortably as she waited for the militia to pass.

The countryside surrounding the Gaertner manor was still and tranquil as she watched cattle grazing in the pasture across the road and birds twittered in the shrubs lining the fence row. Contented, she breathed out a sight as she leaned against the trunk.

At twenty, Diana was still fresh faced and starry eyed, ready to take on anything the world threw at her. She'd much rather be climbing trees and exploring than having tea with her mother's friends. No passerby would've guessed she was a lady by the look of her then. Not when she was dressed in men's work clothes with her wheaten curls tied back from her face and a wide brimmed hat atop her head. With four brothers, she felt just as much at home outdoors as she did at the occasional ball she attended.

Compared to most ladies her age, Diana considered herself rather fortunate that she was educated in a variety of things and hadn't married off when she became a woman. No her parents wanted to raise strong, successful children with good heads on their shoulders. Johann and Lorelei expected her children to be functioning members of society rather than play the game of southern social hierarchy.

As German immigrants, they'd worked hard to build the plantain they called 'home' and didn't want their children to take advantage of that comfort. With her eldest brother, Rupert, set to take over the farm after the war and her sister, Helga, already married off to a banker in Chicago, there were great expectations of the remaining children. With Diana being the third oldest, she was next to set out on her own. However, she was in no rush to leave the safety nest.

"Won't be long now, Dee." The warm baritone of her father informed her from below.

Glancing down at the middle aged man leaning against the trunk of the tree, she scoffed, "Well, they'd better hurry up. Henrietta promised she'd teach me her biscuit recipe and I want to get back to the house before she has to start supper."

"Ms. Henrietta is a brave woman to allow you in her kitchen." Johann chuckled before taking a sip from his canteen, "A baker you will not be."

"You never know, Papaw. I could be anything. The world is my oyster." She retorted, folding her arms over her bosom with a snort.

"Oh and what will you do with it, hmm?" The older blonde inquired up at his daughter.

Diana paused for a moment before a wry smile grew on her lips, "Perhaps I'll go west. I've heard there's plenty of riches to be had in California."

"And I've heard there's nothing but sin breeds out there." Johann was quick to shoot down the idea before suggesting, "Perhaps you might take Eugene up on his offer?"