VII

Omaha was a booming frontier town nestled between the Missouri and Platte rivers

Omaha was a booming frontier town nestled between the Missouri and Platte rivers. Pioneers and prospectors, alike, often stopped in the small city as it was located between goldfields in the north and the open plains to the west. Thanks to the railroad, the town had become more accessible to travelers and brought more people to the frontier than ever before. The increase of travel helped to grow the town at a faster rate than many had thought possible and it would continue to grow because of it. Although it would fail to rival larger cities like Chicago or New York, Omaha was a beacon of light west of the Mississippi.

Beyond it, the Great Plains stretched as far and wide as the eye could see. Unobstructed by trees or mountains, the expanse of land was daunting. Unlike the rest of the country Diana had visited, this region was painfully flat and the vegetation was fairly sparse. In fact, Diana believed it was flatter than Illinois and probably more so than Iowa, too. But where Iowa had developed a booming agricultural industry, Omaha was still mostly untamed and undeveloped. Almost as if the town teetered on the edge of civilization waiting for the wilderness to swallow it up.

After reserving a room for the overnight stay, Diana decided to stretch her legs for a few hours and have a look around. Her journey led her to the center of town where the market, several shops, and saloons were located. As she walked down the street, she watched cowboys drove in herds of cattle towards the stockyards. The blonde was quick to note, Omaha's access to the railroad added to it's value and made it an important destination for ranchers looking to sell livestock to markets in the East.

Since arriving, she had counted 40 head of cattle to each person she saw. That tally didn't include the horses, goats or swine which seemed to mosey through the streets like they were people too. Never before had she felt this outnumbered by animals and she had grown up on a farm surrounded by them. The feeling didn't bother her too much though it was a novelty.

Turning her attention away from the herd, she continued on her way. Deciding it was probably time to head back to the hotel and take the opportunity to rest up before the rest of her journey. She didn't wish to be left behind or hold up the train, if she couldn't get out of bed the next morning. But as she moved towards her destination, a raspy voice inquired from behind,

"You're not from 'round these parts, are ya?"

Spinning on her heel, Diana saw a middle-aged man, who looked ragged and rather worse for the wear. His clothes were peppered with dust and holes. A tattered straw hat shaded his eyes from the late-afternoon sun. Diana noted the cigar in his hand as he tapped it against the sideboards before taking a drag. While he did so, the man looked up at her expectantly as if waiting for a response.

"So what if I am?" She inquired, arching an eyebrow down at him and placing her hands on her hips. She didn't have the time or patience to deal with this vagabond.

A moment passed between them before the man burst into a fit of laughter. The sudden noise sounded like a crow's cackle on Diana's ears and forced her to take a step back in alarm. She hadn't been expecting for the stranger to have a laugh at her expense.