Chapter 11: Emotions and Insecurities

I don't own Doctor Who or Torchwood whatsoever, BBC does, and I’m just a fan with an idea.

Avery’s POV

We held on as the TARDIS chased after the ship that was about to crash. The Doctor and the supposed River were both working on the controls while Amy and I hung back watching. River had abandoned her heels and was barefoot, in order to move fast to hit certain buttons, levers, and switches on the console at the proper time.

“They’ve gone into warp drive, we’re losing them! Stay close!” River said

“I’m trying!” The Doctor responded

“Use the stabilisers.” River ordered

“There aren’t any stabilisers!” The Doctor answered

“The blue switches!” River retorted

“The blue ones don't do anything, they're just...blue.” He said

“Yes, they're blue. They're the blue stabilisers!” She reached over and switched them, and the ship became quiet. “See?”

“Yeah, well, it's just boring now, isn't it? They're boring-ers. They're blue boring-ers.” He said

“Doctor, how come she can fly the TARDIS?” Amy asked

“Yeah?” I added in.

“You call that flying the TARDIS? Ha!” He answered, as he sat on the jump seat to sulk. I walked  over to him and put my hand on his shoulder. I almost wanted to say ‘Awww poor baby.’ But I was sure that wouldn’t of improved his mood.

“OK. I've mapped the probability vectors, done a fold-back on the temporal isometry, charted the ship to its destination, and parked us right along side.” River reported

“Parked us? We haven’t landed.” The Doctor responded

“Of course we've landed. I just landed her.” River answered

“But it didn’t make the noise.” He said

“What noise?” She asked

“You know, the....” He made the TARDIS wheezing sound. Which I admit sounded funny coming from him.

“It’s not supposed to make that noise. You leave the brakes on.” River said

“Yeah, well, it's a brilliant noise. I love that noise. Come along, Ponds, let's have a look.” He said to us as he reached out a hand to me, which I took. He led us to the door.

“No, wait! Environment checks.” River said, which I gave her a look, because the last time I had been on this ship, we had just walked out with no regard of whether we would die from the environment or not. Moreover, I was sure, it was going to be the same this time as well.

“Oh, yes, sorry! Quite right. Environment checks.” He stuck his head out the door. I giggled at him. “Nice out.” He responded.

“We’re somewhere in the Garn Belt. There’s an atmosphere. Early indications suggest...” River read out off one of the screens in the TARDIS.

“We're on Alfava Metraxis, the seventh planet of the Dundra System. Oxygen-rich atmosphere, toxins in the soft band, 11-hour day, and...” He stuck his head out once again “chances of rain later.” He reported to us.

“He thinks he’s so hot when he does that.” I overheard River say to Amy. And there was that gnawing feeling of jealousy in my stomach once again, right on time. He and I joined them at the console.

“How come you can fly the TARDIS?” Amy asked River

“Oh, I had lessons from the very best.” River answered, I let myself wonder for a second if the Doctor would ever teach me.

“Well, yeah.” The Doctor responded sounding a bit smug.

“It’s a shame you were busy that day.” River said as she picked up her shoes “Right then, why did they land here?” and headed for the door.

“They didn’t land.” The Doctor answered

“Sorry?” She responded

“You should've checked the Home Box - it crashed.” He answered as he followed her, with me tagging along beside him. River stepped outside and he closed the door behind her before heading back to the console. It looked like we were leaving River behind, and I let myself grin. That woman aggravated me, just the way it sounded like she knew the Doctor and I didn’t like it. Yeah, I was jealous, but I couldn’t help myself feel like there was something off about her, and almost like she sounded a bit familiar.

“Explain! Who is that and how did she do that museum thing?” Amy asked him

“It's a long story and I don't know most of it. Off we go!” He answered as he worked the controls. Only a few more buttons pressed and switches flipped before we would leave, leaving that woman behind and hopefully not see her again.

“What are you doing?” Amy said, I gave her a look, what was she doing.

“Leaving. She’s got where she wants to go, let’s go where we want to go.” He answered.

“Are you basically running away?” She asked

“Yep.” He responded

“Why?” She asked

“Cos she’s the future, my future.” He replied. I stepped back from them. One question somewhat answered. How she knew him? There was a chance I had no chance with him. That this path of feelings would just end up in heartbreak especially if I had to watch him fall for River. River who was a lot sexier and hotter than I was, and a lot more woman. I pressed my palms to my eyes as I backed into the railing, shaking my head, I could not let my insecurities get control of me this time, not again. I took a few deep shuddering breaths as I took back control and I looked back at the two in front of me with their backs facing me. They hadn’t a clue what had just happened, though it wasn’t as if Amy had been around for the time I had lost control to the insecurities, and it wasn’t like I could go find Rory if I did lose control. I gave myself one last shake before returning to my spot at the console as if nothing had just happened.

“You promised me a planet. Five minutes?” Amy said, as clearly I missed a bit of the conversation.

“Ok, five minutes!” He gave in to her.

“Yes!” She headed to the door.

“But that's all, cos I'm telling you now, that woman is not dragging me into anything!” He said, that gave me hope as I briefly grinned to myself. He went to follow Amy to the door, but realized I had not followed just yet and turned holding his hand out to me, which I took before we all left the TARDIS.