5. Eye to eye

His name was Marus, apparently they had met as children but Azalea had no memory of it whatsoever. His father had grown up with Quinterius and they saw each other as nothing less than brothers, all that was missing was blood to tie them together. So when Azalea was born it had been decided that Marus, who was 6 at the time of her birth, would marry her if it pleased him.

The father and son would arrive at midday to dine with the family so that he could determine if she was good enough for him. He had seen her a few times in the marketplace when he visited the family farm and had found her irresistible.

Of this however, Azalea knew nothing. As a matter of fact she didn't even know she had been promised to this man at all. She was only aware that her parents saw him as a potential husband.

***

She was sitting naked in her room waiting for her hair to dry. Didilla had had rubbed flower scented oils on her body after her bath and now the room smelled so strongly that Azalea had a headache. Her mother had ordered the bath and oils to get rid of the horse smell. The only problem was that Azaleas thick waist length hair took very long to dry and she wasn't allowed to put on her new rose pink stola while wet, that they were now in a hurry. Sure they hadn't arrived yet but there was so much to be done, she had to be perfect and so did her manners.

"Only speak when spoken to! Always have a pleasant smile on your lips and laugh when needed. If you can, blush when he looks at you, it makes them weak, makes them feel like they have power over you" Justiana said as she paced up and down her daughters room.

"Only look at him when you think he's looking at you and remember the smile and blushing!" she went on.

"Mother you're repeating yourself..." to say Azalea was bored was an understatement and to say she was nervous... well that understatement was and understatement.

"Look soft, let your curves show. Take small sips of the vine and delicate bites of the food. Don't make a mess!" the mother took no notice to her daughters comment and kept on giving her directions.

"Last but not least, don't make a fool of yourself Azalea. This is your future that's on the line. I know it can be hard but as a daughter and a woman it is your duty, so you might as well make the best of it. Okay?" looking at her daughter sitting there just like she had the day she met AND married Quinterius, she felt an old and forgotten pain crawling its way to the surface. She didn't love the man her own father married her to nor did she know him. In the end it turned out good, she had beautiful children and a big villa filled with servants and slaves. She loved him now, Quinterius, and she was sure her daughter would grow to love Marus too.

"You know I love you and so does your father. That is why I pleaded with him to let you and Marus have some time together before an eventual wedding." She said, fighting hard to keep her face from reveling all too much feelings.

Azalea just gave her mother a sorrow filled glance and stated that her hair had dried so the mother was no longer needed.

***

Didilla put the last curl of golden hair in its rightful place and looked at the usually smiling girl.

"Remember your mothers words and do the best you can do, promise me that my child." The elderly slave said, smoothing out the soft stola.

Azalea stood, gave the woman one last look and walked out the door right in to the arms of her future.

***

"Macius, my friend! Welcome!" Quinterius was the first to welcome his friend.

"And welcome to you my young Marus, I do believe you have manage to grow even more since we last saw each other. Has it been a year already?" he embraced the two men in a friendly manner and guided them to his awaiting family.