4. The grand escape

It would take a little more than a day for the ships to reach the harbor and then about half a day to get to the villa. Everyone was running around in a state of panic trying to get everything perfect for the arrival of the master of the house. Azalea was ordered to stay in her room to minimize the risk of getting dirty after her painfully hot flower bath, but with no entertainment at all she was bound to do something stupid.

She had made the climb from her window many times so the climb itself wasn't a problem, it was the unpredictable movement of the slaves that troubled her. Usually only a few slaves would walk under her window through the day but now they came in groups at irregular times bearing baskets of fruit or barrels of vine. If she wanted to get out she would have to time it perfectly. First she had to climb out the window and drop to the ground and then she had to sneak as fast as she could to the stables. And all of this without getting noticed.

The challenge made it all the more exiting and it was no longer about being bored, she wanted to know if she could do it.

A group of three kitchen girls hurriedly turned the corner and disappeared out of view. This was it, she climbed out of the window and softy landed on the old barrel she had placed there at a young age to help in this sort of situations. Taking one final glance in every directions she started running to one of the small sheds placed on the property to hold the upcoming winter supplies. Now there was only a short run left to the stables and then she could spend a few hours hidden away with Maximus.

She just barely made it through the backdoor when she heard someone hurriedly walking past the stable cursing about all the work. She felt a bit bad for them, if she was allowed to help she would but her mother made it very clear that she wasn't. As a matter of fact she was never allowed to help, but every time she could get away with it she would.

The stable was empty except for the animals, it had been thoroughly cleaned that very morning and every horse inside had food and water. Maximus let out some welcoming sounds, waiting for her to give him the attention he felt he deserved after being kept inside all day long.

"You missed me Maxi? I sure missed you." She whispered while stroking his neck affectionately.

"I'm sorry you didn't get to go outside today, if it makes you feel better I've been locked up too." Putting her head against his they shared a quiet moment filled with warmth and comfort. Soon she slid down the wall and made herself comfortable in the fresh hay happily singing for her and her beloved stallion.

***

She woke up with a start, Maximus was asleep and the stable was dark and chilly. She was never supposed to fall asleep! She was lucky no one had come looking for her when night came. Kissing the horse goodbye she left quietly through the back, carefully making her way back to her window. There was just one little problem... The barrel... Turns out when her mother had ordered every part of the property to be cleaned she wasn't joking. Someone had taken away the old barrel under her window because it is was junk and now she was trapped outside.

Cursing under her breath she tried to jump, tried to find the barrel, tried to find something else but there was no way she would ever be able to get up there. She had to get in some other way. Figuring one of the smaller entrances, that the slaves used, would be her best chance she worked her way around the house. Soon she was walking through the kitchen just to open a door and find herself face to face with the master of the house.

The room had never been so quiet before. There he was, her father, in all his glory. Standing tall and powerful he had one arm around his wife and the other reaching for the vine goblet the slave was delivering.

"Flower, should you really be out of bed at this hour?" he said with a surprised tone. She couldn't come up with any sort of answer that would get her out of trouble this time.

"I... I didn't know you would be home so soon father." Was all she could say, hating how weak she sounded. He stepped away from his wife and slowly stepped closer to the woman who stood in his little girls place. Reaching out he brought her into warm embrace.

"I knew you would turn out beautiful from the moment you were born, but never did I imagen you would outshine your mother." He kissed her golden hair and turned back to Justiana. "We did well, we really did my love."

***

She couldn't sleep, it seemed like every thought possible was running through her mind but none of them made any sense at all. The sun would soon rise and she would once again have to face her father and even worse... she would have to face one angry Didilla and one very, VERY angry mother. Azalea had eventually admitted sneaking out and falling asleep in the stable, she did however leave out the detail that she had climbed out the window to do so. Her mother wasn't impressed and the only reason she didn't get a slap across the face was because Quinterius had told his wife that Azalea would need her beauty the following day.

That scared her like nothing else, there was only one reason her father would say that. The thought of running away did cross her mind, but she loved her family too much to bring such dishonor upon them. He might be nice said a weak voice in her head only to be beaten down by the angry and scared thoughts.

At last she did fall asleep, it could only have been for an hour or two but it was something.

***

Didilla wasn't very gentle when she helped Azalea get dressed in the late morning.

"Couldn't you just stay? For once just listen to what people tell you! You still smell like horse! Did you know that?!?" she grumbled.

"I'm sorry... I never meant to fall asleep, I was just bored. Please don't be mad at me Di. I need you today..." the older woman's face softened as she saw the look in the girl's eyes.

"You knew this time would come my child."

"I hoped it wouldn't."