Chapter 7

Hiccup~

        After Rapunzel and Merida leave, I gather up a basket full of dead fish—yeah, that’s about as fun as it sounds—and drop it in front of Toothless.

            “Who knew you’d have such a soft spot for girls, huh?” I joke. He responds with a disgruntled huff. “I’m only kidding. How is it that you didn't act that way when you first met Astrid?”

            “Someone say my name?” A familiar voice comes from behind me. I turn around to find Astrid sitting on the corral fence. Her presence surprises me; I had forgotten that she was going to meet me today. Her hair is tied back in a thick braid along her back as always and she’s not wearing her long black robes with her Gryffindor uniform.

            “Oh, hi Astrid. How’s it going?”

            “Fine. But sometimes I miss going for a ride on Stormfly or just going axe-throwing, you know?”

            “Yeah, you’re really missing out,” I say sarcastically, glancing over at the Night Fury head snuffling around noisily in the basket of Herring. Astrid just sighs.

            “Look Hiccup, I know you really want to be a wizard, but you should know that nobody is really disappointed in you. Not even your father. I mean, you’re Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the 3rd! You are your own person; you were the first dragon rider on Berk! Isn’t that enough to prove yourself?” she hops off the fence and rests her hand on my shoulder. I look down and say,

            “Maybe you’re right. It’s just like Berk all over again,” I realize. Astrid smiles in satisfaction. “You said you missed dragon riding,” I say, “do you want to go for a ride?” I gesture to Toothless, who’s now finished eating.

            “Sorry, I’ve got to get to class,” she replied. “Maybe later?” I nod and she kisses me on the cheek before jumping over the fence and running in the direction of the school. Her encouragement has lifted my spirits, so I crouch down next to Toothless and ask,

            “How about you and I go for a ride, eh bud?” Pretty soon he and I are soaring through the sky, spinning around in the air and acting as one. When I’m up among the clouds with Toothless, I know that that is where I belong.