Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I sat up in the hospital bed, my leg stiff in a cast. Two minutes. That's all it took. Two minutes to kill my horse. Two minutes to go into surgery. Two minutes.

A lot can go on within the time span of two minutes. In two minutes, my horse died, I went into surgery with a slim chance of survival, my lungs collapsed, my horse would never be seen again, and my dad was torn to pieces.

I cried thinking about yesterday. It all seemed like a faint dream. It all seemed so unreal. What now?

Depression struck like lightening. It hit me hard and fast. I cried. I would never have a horse again. Ever.

I could barely think about it.

I balled both my hands into tight fists and hit the bed with them.

I cried and leaned back on the bed. My beautiful roam mare, Priss, was gone. She was gone forever and I would never get her back.

Suddenly my dad walked through the door. His brown eyes landed on my tear-stained face. I'm sure I was pale but he just had a saddened look in his eyes as he sat on the edge of my hospital bed.

"How is baby glider?" I asked my father. The little sugar glider survived and so far was good.

"Getting big. Eats, sleeps, and uses the bathroom all the time." He said, followed by a deep throaty chuckle. I could tell my dad had been crying recently.

"Daddy, why were you crying?" I asked.

"So how is the food?" He asked, quickly changing the subject.