Chapter 5

I look out of the car's window as we drive down the city's crowded highway. L.A. is always busy, even at night, which creates difficult traffic at times, but watching the cars' headlights flash past us as they drove by was peaceful.

We came to a stop as the traffic light turned red, Stan yelling at Calvin for nearly rear-ending the car in front of us. Aaron mutters something about crashing his car, and I decide ignore my friends and look over at the car next to us. A man sits in the driver's seat, one hand pinching the bridge of his nose and the other holding his phone to his ear. I wondered who he was talking to. Maybe it was his boss, calling to tell him he has to go back to work? Or maybe it was one of his friends, arguing and bickering in his ear like mine are right now.

"All I'm saying is that if Calvin crashes my car, I'm not paying for it."

"Aaron, you'd sue me?!"

"Don't worry Aaron, Louis would buy you a new car."

"No I wouldn't."

"Why did you even let Calvin drive in the first place?"

"Stan, you drive worse than I do!"

"I'm a great driver, excuse you."

"Stan drives like a ninety-year old lady."

"No one asked for your input, Aaron."

"Shut up, the traffic is moving!" I point to the moving line of vehicles in front of us, and Calvin steps on the gas pedal.

We drive in silence, listening to the radio.

"Fuck, Lou, it's your song." Stan gives me a lopsided grin and turns the volume up and I grimace. I felt awkward listening to my own music with other people around.

"Not this one again, switch the station, please."

Stan turned around again to give me a deadpanned expression from the passenger's seat.

"Absolutely not, we're listening to it."

I shake my head and smile as all three boys launch into singing, very poorly I might add. None of them really know the lyrics either, so they're just shouting the words they know and mumbling past the rest.

I open Instagram and take a video of my dumb friends singing to my song and post it on my story, then open some dm's from fans.

I switch to Twitter and open the group chat.

@pastellouis: im driving to the pulse rnnnn

@pastellouis: hoes

@pastellouis: hoes wya

@pastellouis: pay attention to me😢😢😢

@hedgehoglou: pay attention to the road

@grasshoppertommo: crash

@pastellouis: HAROLD

@hedgehoglou: *harry

@grasshoppertommo: are you just going to ignore me😢

@pastellouis: dont worry im not driving my friend is

@grasshoppertommo: hello

@hedgehoglou: is he a good driver

@pastellouis: not really

@grasshoppertommo: WHAT AM I CHOPPED LIVER

@pastellouis: no but you are white bread

@grasshoppertommo: i hope you crash

@pastellouis: so you've said

@pastellouis: its getting stale, you should come up with a new one-liner