01 | Return to Hogwarts

|01|

|01|

THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS SAT IDLING softly at the end of platform nine and three quarters that morning. It was one of Delilah's favorite sights in the whole world. With the scarlet paint and the wheels, the loud chatter of students climbing aboard, the chugga chugga sound as the steam engine rolled down the tracks, and the smoke billowing out the smokestack. It was the train that brought her back to her friends, to the place she felt the most safe and the most loved and the most content at.

It was the train that brought her back to the place that was home.

"Bye guys," she said to her siblings impatiently, starting to walk away from them where they stood in the center of the platform chaos. Everyone around cast them glances and out-of-the-corner-of-their-eye stares, for any witch or wizard worth their magic knew of the Ostrander family. They were the most influential purebloods in the world, of course.

"Have a great year and everything," Delilah said over her shoulder. "Blah blah blah, later now!"

"Not so fast, Delilah," William Ostrander said, gripping a hand on her shoulder tightly. "Mother and father wanted me to remind you of a few rules this year, since you couldn't seem to remember them when they told you the first time."

Delilah rolled her eyes and turned around to face him. "I remember them, ol' Willie. I just don't think they're all worth obeying."

William Ostrander was tall and broad-shouldered, dressed today in a black suit ready for work at the ministry. His wavy dark hair hung down to his ears and his green eyes matched those of his mother's. He had a patch of small freckles across his nose, and Delilah couldn't help but agree with her friends on the fact that he was very handsome. The smart-assery ruined any handsome he had, though.

"You need to learn when to shut your mouth," he said, eyes narrowed.

Delilah let out a huff.

"You know," piped Clarabel, nosing her way into the conversation as usual, "I would find the palace much more peaceful without your loud mouth around."

"Very true," Katherine muttered, her eyes narrowed to slits.

Clarabel and Katherine were almost exact copies; straight chocolate-brown hair, jade green eyes, smooth porcelain skin and prominent cheekbones. And of course, the sly arrogance that came with being an Ostrander. The only difference between the two was the fact that Katherine was nineteen and Clarabel thirteen.

"It was a rhetorical question," Delilah muttered.

"Okay," William said, holding up his left hand to count off the rules on his fingers. "Are you ready to listen?"