SEVENTEEN

L E A H ' S   P O V

"Jorge, where exactly are we going?" I called at the man walking a few feet ahead of us. He held a firm pace as if he was chasing something. 

"I know a guy. Marcus. He will know how to get us to the Right Arm." 

I stopped dead in my tracks. "I'm not going to the Right Arm without Thomas." 

Jorge stopped and sighed, placing his hands on his hips. "Don't worry. Brenda will try to find Marcus as well if they made it out of there. We'll meet them somewhere along the way," he explained but the unsettling feeling didn't leave my body. I nodded softly and began walking again.

Newt's arm hadn't left my shoulders and that was the only thing that kept me from falling apart. I wouldn't know what to do without him. He was truly like a brother to me who kept me on my feet and kept me going. 

"How are you feeling?" Newt asked. 

"Apart from the paralyzing fear, I'm great," I sarcastically smiled. 

"Ley," Newt looked at me knowingly. 

I sighed. "I'll be fine, Newt. I just want to find Thomas." 

We exited the rubble of the building, making sure Wicked wouldn't see us, and jogged down an abandoned alley. Jorge stopped us at the end and waited silently as a squad of Wicked soldiers ran past us. Luckily, none of them saw us. 

"What if we don't find him, Newt?" I asked softly. 

"We will," Newt replied flat out. 

"But what if we don't?"

Newt blew some air through his nose. "We're here for you no matter what, Leah. We take care of each other, remember?" he told me. I smiled and nodded.

"Okay, let's go. The sooner we find Marcus, the sooner we can get to the Right Arm," Jorge stated and took the lead. 

We marched through the streets of the abandoned city and after a while, Wicked left when they realized they wouldn't find us. I didn't want to think of what would happen if Wicked would capture one of us. I didn't want to go back to that compound to be one of their lab rats. I'd have to spend the rest of my life in one of those facilities and raise my child there. If they would even let me raise them. 

If the Right Arm was real and they would provide shelter to the noninfected people, then maybe that would be the right environment to have a baby. They would take their first breath there, they would take their first steps, they would grow up surrounded by the best people in the world, Thomas, Newt, Minho, Frypan, all of them would be the best family this baby could have. 

Unconsciously, I had placed a hand on my belly and rubbed it with my thumb. 

"Jorge, can we take a break? We've been walking for a while," Minho called out. Jorge stopped and sighed, placing his hands on his hips. 

"You do realize that the distance between us and the Right Arm won't shrink when we're napping," he stated. 

"I do realize that very well but I think some of us can use a little bit of rest." Minho's gaze fell on me and I smiled gratefully when I realized my back and feet were aching terribly. 

We found a safe place to stop and I plopped down in a quiet corner where I curled up into a ball and rested my eyes. I didn't sleep, though, I listened to the conversations of the others. 

"I heard her saying something about a child. What was that about?" Jorge asked. Silence fell as no one answered. "Is she pregnant?" 

"Yeah," Newt stated softly and I could feel everyone's gaze on me. 

The next moment I felt a hand shaking my knee. My eyelids pulled apart and saw Newt crouched down in front of me. I sat up straight and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I must've fallen asleep eventually but I didn't remember actually sleeping. "We gotta get moving." I nodded and got to my feet, using the hand Newt held out to me. 

We walked the streets again. The streets were no longer abandoned and dark but lit by the sun. We bumped into a few people on our way to the house of this supposed Marcus. 

Outside of a large white building, I was just in time to see a tall woman pushing a boy and girl inside. "There they were, they went right inside that building," I gasped. Picking up the pace, I led the group to the building. Just as I was about to walk inside to follow after Thomas and Brenda, a man in a deep purplish suit stopped me. 

"Whoah, whoah, whoah! Darling, where do we think we're going?" he spoke with slurred words as he placed a clammy hand on my shoulder. I took a step back, shaking off his hand. 

"I'm going to find my boyfriend." 

"And who might that be?" a deep voice spoke up next to me. I looked to my right and found the blonde woman who pushed Thomas and Brenda inside earlier. 

"The dark-haired boy you just pushed inside. Now if you don't mind-" The man held out his arm in front of me to hold me back.

"It's a very exclusive party. There's only one way to enter." He held out a flask that contained a small amount of green liquid. I snatched the bottle from his grasp, unscrewed the top and poured the liquid out of the bottle and onto the street. I sent the man a dangerous glare that dared him to stop me before I stalked into the building with Newt, Minho, and Frypan hot on my heels. 

"Thomas!" I shouted over the loud thumping of the music. I pushed past a group of girls in revealing clothes who offered blue drinks with grapes. I tried to spot Thomas' dark hair, but the low lights and moving people made that task a million times more difficult.

A hand took my shoulder and I saw Minho pointing at the ground a few feet away from me. I nearly gasped when I found Thomas's unconscious body on the floor. I rushed to his side and his eyes closed right as I reached him.