TWENTY-FIVE

Ava Paige's hawk eyes scanned the crowd surrounding the former Gladers and her eyes fell on someone behind them. Leah glanced over her shoulder to find Mary Cooper, the female doctor who had helped Brenda. 

"Mary, I hoped we'd meet again," Paige said as the dark-haired woman walked up to her. "I'm sorry it had to be under these circumstances." 

Mary Cooper shook her head. "I'm sorry about a lot of things too, but not this. At least my conscience is clear," she challengingly stated. 

"So is mine," Paige said, unfazed by her attitude. A gunshot sounded through the air and a shock ran through Leah's body as a pool of crimson blood stained Mary's shirt. She weakly looked down and as Vince cried out her name, Leah was taken right back to the moment Chuck had blown out his last breath in her arms. 

Silence consumed the room until someone broke it. "Thomas." It was Chuck. Leah turned around.

"Oh, my god." She rushed to his side and caught him just in time before he hit the ground. A pool of crimson blood emerged on his chest, telling her Gally had taken a shot. Instead of hitting Thomas or Leah like he originally planned, Chuck had sacrificed his life for them.

"Chuck, no, keep your eyes on me." Leah held his head close to her chest. Thomas fell to his knees beside her and grabbed ahold of Chuck's shirt.

"No, no, no," He started rambling as Chuck's breathing pattern started to hitch. "Look at me, Chuck," He ordered, his voice cracking. Chuck stopped Thomas's rapid movements by grabbing his shoulder.

"It's okay," he mumbled softly.

"Chuck-" Leah spoke up, her voice cracking.

"Leah, it's okay. It's perfect." He pulled out the tiny white man he had crafted for his parents months ago. He told her he wanted to give it to them if he ever found them again. He pressed it into her palm.

"No, Chuck. Remember what I told you?" She wanted to hand it back, but he wouldn't have it.

"Take it to them. Please," He pleaded and tears started to leak from her eyes. She nodded and grabbed ahold of Chuck's hand. "Thank you," he smiled through his pain.

Choking sobs erupted from her throat and an iron hand wrapped around her heart.

It felt like years before Chuck blew out his final breath.

"Chuck?" Thomas asked, but Leah already knew he was gone. She pressed her lips to Chuck's forehead and kissed him goodbye. Her eyes squeezed shut and droplets fell from the corners.

Thomas started calling out his name and shaking his limp body. "Thomas-Thomas, he's gone," Leah cried.

"No, no, no. He can't be, Chuck!" he shouted.

"Thomas, stop it!" She looked at him and he stopped. "He's gone."

Tears brimmed Leah's eyes and she wiped them away with her sleeve. Janson lowered his gun with a cold expression on his face. 

"Okay, let's go, load them up," Ava ordered the Wicked soldiers. 

Harsh hands grabbed Leah by her shoulders and dragged her toward the plane where multiple people were already loaded inside. She struggled against their grip but she knew it would be of no use. It could only put her in even more danger. 

She heard a sound of impact behind her and she whipped around to find Thomas with Jorge's bomb in his hands, keeping everyone distanced from him. 

Before she could think, Leah exclaimed, "Thomas, no!" 

His eyes met hers and he held a sorrowful expression in them. "I'm sorry," he mouthed before bellowing, "Let them all go!" at the Wicked soldiers who held his friends. 

"You know I can't do that," Ava protested. 

"Thomas, please stop," Teresa exclaimed. "I made a deal with them, they promised we'd be safe, all of us." Her eyes averted to Leah. "Including the baby." 

"We're supposed to trust you now?" Thomas retorted. 

"It's true, it was her only condition," Ava stated. 

"Just shut up!" 

"Everything can go back to the way it was. Thomas, do you really want all of them to die?" she asked, her eyes moving around our group and my hand gripped Newt's wrist. 

"Listen to her, Thomas. Think about what you're doing," said Janson.

Leah looked to her left and saw Newt held the same expression in his eyes as she did. She reluctantly let go and stepped up to Thomas, the others soon following her lead. 

"We're with you, Thomas," Newt stated. 

"No..." Teresa breathed. 

"Don't do this, Thomas," Ava Paige said softly, her eyes showing a hint of fear. 

"Do it," Leah said, clasping her arms around herself and clenching her eyes shut. 

"I'm not going back there," Thomas told Ava and Janson. 

Leah placed her forehead on Thomas' shoulder and prepared for the worst. Right as Thomas was about to press the button to ignite the bomb, a loud honking sounded from the distance. 

Leah's eyes opened again and found a large truck dashing into the camp. She scrunched her eyes at the bright headlights and nearly let out a cheer as she spotted Jorge behind the wheel. He crashed the truck into one of Wicked's helicopters and was completely unfazed by the gunshots that were fired at the apparently bulletproof vehicle. 

The helicopter crashed to the ground and the rotor blades snapped as they hit the ground. Pieces of debris flew around and hit a few people, almost hitting Leah in the process, but Thomas was quick to pull her out of the way and keep her with him. 

"Stay close," He told her and she nodded. He took her hand in his as he whipped around to find three guards pointing their guns at them. Thomas thought quick and threw the bomb in their direction, setting it off in the process. 

"Get down!" he shouted at the others and dropped himself to the floor, taking Leah with him and shielding her with his body. She protected her head with her arms as she was curled up in a ball. 

She coughed at the dust in the air and barely saw anything through the thick smoke caused by the bomb. Thomas crawled to his feet and moved to help her, but she wasn't quick enough to warn him as Janson whacked him on his head, sending him down to the floor again. 

"No!" Leah screamed, rushing to his side, but Janson pulled out his gun and cocked it as he kicked Leah in the face. She rolled aside with a yelp as dark spots consumed her vision. Her cheek throbbed and she could already feel a bruise forming.

Janson pointed his gun at Thomas again, holding him down with his foot on his chest. "What a waste."