TWENTY-TWO

I pushed aside the canvas that formed the door of the tent and squinted my eyes at the sunlight. A cold gust of wind hit my skin and I zipped up my jacket. The next moment I looked up, Jorge tightly hugged me.

"Thank you." His voice trembled and I knew he was talking about Brenda. "I don't know what I'd do without her," he spoke after he had embraced Thomas as well. I placed a hand on his arm. 

"You should go in, talk to her," I said and he nodded quickly, moving to enter the tent as soon as I was done talking. Before he pushed the canvas aside, he turned back to us. 

"I guess I owe you now," he grinned and disappeared.

We quickly found the others, sitting on a higher point in the camp, looking down at everyone. I sat beside Newt and Thomas plopped down right beside me, intertwining my fingers with his as I nuzzled my neck into the collar of my jacket. 

"I wish Alby could've seen all this," Newt said and I smiled sadly. 

"He wouldn't know what to say," I chuckled humorlessly, my heart aching at the mention of my friend's name.

"Winston too," Frypan joined in. 

"And Chuck," Thomas said, holding the white man again.

"He'd be proud of you, Tommy," Newt said. I smiled and squeezed Thomas' hand. 

My eyes averted to the skinny, blond boy better known as Aris as he was excitedly talking to Harriet and Sonya. I didn't know how long he had been separated from them, but it must've felt amazing for him that he got to see them again. I'd feel the same way. If I were to be taken away from the boys and we'd meet again, I wouldn't be able to leave their side ever again.

"Hey, Aris!" Frypan called. Aris looked up and waved with a smile on his face. "I kinda like that kid," Fry grinned. 

"Yeah," Minho spoke up. "I still don't trust him though." 

I chuckled and shook my head. Minho didn't trust a lot of people, only the four of us because I was sure he trusted Teresa as much as I did. 

"Leah, can I talk to you for a moment?" Thomas spoke up after a moment of silence. 

"Sure," I replied and got to my feet. His hand left mine but I didn't say anything about it as I following him to a quiet spot. 

"I never told you about that party at Marcus's," he hesitantly brought up.

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Well, something happened there," he said slowly. I raised an eyebrow. "First of all, I want you to know that that weird drink made me see and do things that I didn't want to see or do." 

"Okay..." I slowly said. 

"I had these weird hallucinations, I saw you, Newt, Winston and a bunch of Grievers." He looked down. 

"Oh, my god. Are you okay? You must've been terrified," I gasped. 

"Yeah, it's fine, it's fine," he rambled and started fiddling with his fingers, something he did when he was nervous or didn't know what to say. 

"You're not telling me something," I stated. 

He remained quiet. 

"Thomas." 

"Brenda kissed me." Those words punched the air out of my lungs.

"She did what?" I asked slowly, trying to get myself to understand what he was implying. 

"She kissed me." 

"And you pulled back, right? Told her that you're in a relationship with me?" I asked, not even sure if I wanted to know the answer. Thomas fell silent, not even daring to look me in the eye. "Thomas!"

"I-" He paused, blowing out a breath through his nose. "I didn't."

Tears welled up in my eyes and I took a step back.

"I know how that sounds but just let me explain-"

"What is there to explain, Thomas?! You kissed another girl!" My voice started trembling from all the anger, sadness and betrayal I felt surging through my body. 

"I know that. It was the drink, it had to be the drink. I would never do that to you." He stepped toward me but I backed away. 

"How would I know that? I've known you for like, what? A month?" I exclaimed. 

"Leah, you know me better than anyone. What are you talking about?" 

"Oh my god, I'm going to be sick." I clasped a hand over my mouth as a wave of nausea hit me. "First Teresa, now Brenda? Who's next, huh?" 

"Wha- Teresa?" His brows furrowed together. 

I laughed humourlessly. "I told you something about Teresa seemed off and you just waved it off. Ever since she came up in the glade, she's been awfully close with you and don't tell me that it isn't true because it is." 

"What? Leah, that's bullshit!" he exclaimed. 

"You know what? I think you need to stay away from me for a while," I stated, looking up at him with tears streaming down my cheeks. 

"Wha-You're not serious, are you? Leah, you can't do that to me." He took another step forward and reached for my wrists, but I harshly pulled my hands away and moved to turn around. 

"Don't," I snapped as he wanted to chase after me. "Don't follow me." My bottom lip trembled. "I thought I meant something to you." Leaving him behind, I rushed back to the camp where I found a quiet corner. I lowered myself to the ground and hugged my knees to my chest. Quiet sobs started to erupt from my throat and I clasped my hands over my mouth to prevent any loud sounds from escaping. 

I couldn't see anything through the thick tears leaving my eyes so I couldn't see the figure kneeling down in front of me. A gentle hand on my knee brought me back to reality and I found Newt sitting in front of me. 

"What did he do to you?" he asked in a low voice. A heartbroken sob left my lips and he pulled me into an embrace. He held me close to his chest as I let out all that Thomas had hurt. The wound on my shoulder was stinging but I paid no attention to it as the biggest pain came from my heart. 

Soon, the sobs faded and left nothing but an empty hole in my chest. I sat back and wiped away the tears, ready to tell Newt what happened. I pushed my back against the wall behind me. I sniffed and tried to find the right words, but right as I was about to speak up, a loud scream came from the distance and the next moment, an explosion erupted right in front of my eyes.