ARC 1 | HITMAN SCAM

CHAPTER 1

"No, I do not want to become evil. Leave me alone!" a transparent soul flees, leaving the dejected villain system.

Light dimming a little, the system ball mutters to itself. [What should I do? If I don't find a host soon, the creator will obliterate me.] It looks around the boundless space, trying to spot an unsuspecting lost soul. It finds one but is met with another cold rejection. This continues until it receives a message notification saying that it will be scrapped unless it binds itself to a host in 10 minutes. Along with the message is a countdown timer.

Panic wells up coming from deep within the pitiful ball. It seems that there is a low market for villain systems. The lost souls refuse it in favor of other systems like "reversing fate" cannon fodder, "second male lead", "preventing harem", and many more. The villain system tirelessly and anxiously looks for a willing host.

<00:59> Given less than a minute, the little ball's motion stops and just as it feels resigned to its fate, something bumps onto it. The system turns around lifelessly.

"Are you a system?" a soul in the brink of collapse hurriedly questions. "Be my system, please?"

<00:30>

[I am a villain system.] The ball needs to inform the sombresoul.

"A villain system is still a system. So please form a contract with me?" the soul piteously begs as it begins to scatter.

<00:09>

Moved, the villain system unhesitatingly binds with the similarly pitiful soul. A bright light envelopes them for a few seconds before disappearing. The system's body is a small silver ball with a few hints of blue lights. Meanwhile, the host it is bounded to is a weak transparent soul of a young man of Oriental origin.

The two figures in the space study each other. "I have no name so you can call me however you want," the host says with an embarrassed smile, blinking his large doe eyes.

[Why?]

The soul ducks its head and mumbles something. The system doesn't understand so it asks again. "I don't have memory of my previous life. All I know is that I must not die."

[You are already dead.] drops the no-nonsense system. Indeed, any soul that is trapped in this boundless space is either physically dead or lost.

The soul's almond eyes tremble before watering with tears. Soon, it cries miserably and denies being dead. The villain system gets a headache and pacifies its new host. [I am wrong, I am wrong. Stop crying already.]

Hiccuping, the youngster's soul asks, "I am not dead?."

[You are not dead.] The silver system lies without batting an eye. It witnesses how fast its host change from a wailing soul to a happy soul. It figuratively sweat drops. [Since you have no recollection of your previous life, I will gift you a name.]

The host who appears to be sixteen or seventeen of age brightens in anticipation. His black eyes are full of trust and excitement as he waits for his system to bless him a good name.

[...] Accosted with that kind of face, the villain system racks its internal memory for a befitting name for its host. [Xiwang. From now on, your name is Xiwang.]

"Xiwang," the soul trembles before emitting a soft burst of light. It doesn't appear to be as weak as before. "I like it! Thank you, Sylvie!"

The system puffs its nonexistent chest from the praise but soon backtracks. [What did you call me?]

"Sylvie," Xiwang answers with a cute innocent smile. "Sylvie is a pretty silver. So Sylvie."

Speechless, Sylvie, uh no, the villain system almost blows itself up. It is the one of a kind villain system in all the systems developed by the creator. However, its very own host dares to call him Sylvie? What is left of its dignity? But before it can complain, its host uses a powerful teary-eyed attack combined with a small voice asking with a stutter if Sylvie is no good? The villain system, uh no, Sylvie reluctantly says that the name is good.

Xiwang grabs the floating ball and hugs it to his chest. "Sylvie is nice. Please take care of me from now on." He feels the system getting warm and embraces its tighter.

The blushing Sylvie squirms in its host's hold but finds that the grip is specially tight. Sighing, it introduces itself and its function. [Xiwang, listen carefully. I am a villain system. As my host, you have the responsibility to complete the tasks I give you. You may have to hurt, scam, betray, or scheme against other characters in the worlds I am sending you to. There is no time limit and as long as you complete your task, you have the option of staying in the world or departing right away. Did you hear me?]

Eyes closed, Xiwang nods and hums, not listening one bit. He is still immersed in cuddling the warm ball. It feels so comfortable~

[Good. Before I transfer your soul to the first world, I must remind you that you will receive the body's memory, your mission, as well as the plot of the world. The process might hurt a bit so endure it. Are you ready?]

Again, Xiwang nods and hums, not in the least bit aware that he is about to enter his first world. When he feels that his soul is being sucked in a black hole, he cries in surprise and clutches Sylvie.

When Xiwang comes to, his mind is flooded with so much information that he eventually passes out. The surrounding students in the large hall gasp and call for the professor's attention. Xiwang's unconscious body is brought to the infirmary.