Chapter one

I land in a heap on the ground after falling out of the sky. I roll a few times before stopping face down on a hard and black surface. I'm winded from the landing and I'm struggling for breath. My entire body aches from the fall and my head is cloudy, rendering me unable to think straight. I don't remember why I was falling for a short while, which panics me slightly.

I groan aloud as I test each of my limbs making sure that nothing is broken. There are visible blood stains my shirt and there are probably blood strains on my pants as well only they aren't as visible. I inspect the wounds briefly, concluding that none of my injuries are serious and don't require immediate attention. My clothes are ripped in multiple places but not in any place that reveals anything that I would rather keep covered thankfully.

I let out a long breath in an attempt to shake the clouds growing in my head. It works and my mind replays everything that just happened prior to being thrown through the portal. No! That can't be real. 

Where am I? Where has Jinx and Wendy sent me? What have they done to Peter and the boys? Thinking about them makes my heart heavy and causes me to fret. How am I going to get back to them? I need to figure out where I am first.

I look up at my surroundings to see what appears to be a village or rather a city judging by the size of the houses and shops. They are strange though. I've never seen houses like this before. They are very large and made of materials I've no encountered except for royal palaces or well born estates. Everyone here must be very well bred. All along the front of the buildings are strange looking carriages that aren't attached to horses. 

I notice that a crowd of people has formed all around me. They are all staring at me but are keeping their distance. None of them appear to be particularly shocked to see me. It's like people just appear here out of nowhere all the time here.

I push myself onto my knees then raising to my feet. I reach for my sword which is still strapped to my hip thankfully and hold it out in front of me. These people are all strangely dressed. Most of the woman are wearing pants which is very unusual where I'm from. I have no clue where it is I've been sent but I have a bad feeling in my stomach about this place.

No one around me looks to be overly threatening but looks can be deceiving. I feel extremely claustrophobic as there are more and more people join the crowd around me, caging me in on all sides. I pivot on my toes to try and find a gap which I could potentially make a quick exit if need be. Unfortunately I have limited options as there seems to be very few exit points. Damn!

As I come back around the face the direction I was originally, I see a woman walking towards me slowly. She has long blonde hair and is sporting a red leathery looking jacket. She has an unreadable expression on her face but I can somehow sense a certain something about her, making her different from many of the others. I'm assuming, by the way she is taking charge of the situation, that she is the leader of this city. 

"Who are you?" she says is an accent unlike my own but a very similar dialect. "Where did you come from?" The woman uses an authoritative tone but doesn't let on any type of fear of uncertainty.

She continues walking towards me at a slow pace, stepping carefully obviously not wanting to trigger me. My own fear gets the better of me and I hold my sword up towards her as a warning to keep her distance. She stops and holds up her hands at the level of her eyes, palms facing me. She trying to show that she means me no harm and that she is also unarmed. 

"I don't wanna hurt you," she says calmly but I'm still not convinced. "I just want to talk." I draw back my weapon and lower it to my side instead of sheathing it, just to be safe. 

I remain quiet, not wanting to talk as I've no idea what to say. I'm still trying to process everything that has happened. I'm not going to give up my name or my origins to these people. I don't know them of what they might do to me if they learned of where I came from.