Chapter eight

I fall to my knees landing hard of the ground. I've no idea how Wendy managed to keep a hold on me and block my magic but it doesn't matter anymore. She's gone... 

And there is no way to get her back.

I sit there staring at the spot of the ground where the portal used to be, waiting for it to re-open and for Kyla to come back through the portal. Hoping she'll come back.

I hear an evil laugh sound from in front of me. I snap my head up and find Jinx standing directly in front of me.

Seeing his face makes my anger explode and I wrench my arm from Wendy's grip. I swing my arm at Jinx with all my force...

And it goes straight through him. As if I had just punched a ghost or a shadow. I stare at my hand in shock and then at Jinx in complete shock. This can't be real.

Jinx places his hands roughly on my shoulders, ensuring he causes me pain. I hold back a grunt, not letting him have the satisfaction of seeing me in pain.

"How far you have fallen in such a short time," Jinx says with a smug and satisfied grin on his face. " I'm going to revel in this. Too long have I've lived in your shadow, allowing you to have all fame that should have always been mine."

I stay silent, merely staring at him and allowing him to talk. I have nothing to say to him.

"A pity I had to kill Kyla," he continues. " I would have liked to have claimed her for myself as you still hadn't. It would have made this that much sweeter."

I do my best to hold down my anger as there seems to be nothing I can do to harm him. I've nearly lost everything I care about. All I have left now are my boys and every minute I'm here with Jinx is another minute that I'm not protecting them from him.

I twist my hand in front of my face with a flick and my green smoke surrounds me.

I reappear in the Lost Boys camp 8n front of a crowd of my boys. Some run straight to me knowing instantly that something is wrong.

"Pan, what's happened? Where's Kyla?" I hear Slightly ask from beside me.

"She's... gone," I force out. "But we have to get all the boys and get them out now. We need to figure out a way to leave Neverland. It's not safe for any of us anymore."

Slightly nods and pounces straight into action along with who ever else was around me. They start rounding up the boys, gathering them all in one place. Each of them is fully equipped with weapons and many of them have gathered up food rations in make shift packs. It doesn't take them long at all to be ready to move out. I've trained them well.

"Aren't you sweet Pan," says the voice I've been dreading. "You've gathered up all my new recruits into the one place for me. I'll take it from here."

"Like hell you will Jinx," I answer, whirling to face the voice. He took his time arrive here to change he apparel to that of a king. A long red cloak is draped over his shoulders, covering his usual clothing and his head is topped with a crown that looks to be made of golden sticks and twigs. Wendy, however, is nowhere to be seen.

"Bow to your true king of Neverland, boys," he says. None of my boys budge at first and then some of them beginning to bend the knee. Jinx's face is awfully smug and I want to knock him out, though I know it would be unwise.

I turn to find most of my boys have dropped onto one knee with their heads bowed towards Jinx. He must be doing this with his magic though a few of my strongest boys have resisted him and remain on their feet.

"As the new king, I'm going to offer you all a choice," Jinx says to them all. "You are offered a place here under my rule, under my protection. You will be given the freedom to do as you please as long as you follow me. What say you boys?"