chapter one.

Elena awoke with a groan, dragging herself up and out of bed to stand in front of the mirror.

Her gold and green eyes stared back at her, twin to her mothers besides the fact that whilst Aelin's were turquoise, Elena's were green like her father's, with just a ring of gold in the middle. Some would say it made her different, and would be glad she wasn't the spitting image of her mother, others would be disappointed she hadn't inherited the legendary Ashryver eyes. She didn't particularly care. 

Sighing as she began to work out the tangles in her hair, her mind drifting to where she was going to go as she braided it back.  She had heard stories about the High Lord of the Night Court and his Inner Circle. Of the beautiful City of Starlight, Velaris. Her mother and father had only managed to visit once, the magic too great to use whenever they pleased. Until they'd come across a passage in a book, almost missed, that had held all they needed to make another trip.

Her eyes drifted to the bag she had packed the night before, which was an adventure on its own, choosing what to bring and what to leave behind. Her life, packed into a bag big enough to fit on her back.

Slinging that bag onto her back as she makes her way downstairs, breathing in the familiar scent of breakfast. Bacon and eggs, pancakes and about every breakfast you could imagine was stacked up on the counter, there for anyone to take. The castle was usually bustling with people, events to be planned, meeting to attend to. But it was quiet today, and that didn't help the growing pit in her stomach. So she walks past the table, just grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl, and leans against the counter hoping to calm the churning of her gut. Taking a bite of the apple, the crunch loud against the silence of the room, a bit of juice dribbling out on her chin.

She hears a snort from behind her and turns to see her mother and father standing in the doorway, her mother elbowing Rowan in the stomach, before walking towards Elena. "Very queenly," she grins at her, and Elena's reply is a rolling of her eyes.

"You ready to go?" she says as a way of greeting, beginning to walk, expecting her daughter to follow. She did. "There was no way to send Rhysand a message, so you are going to have to surprise him. Remember he only saw you once and you were a baby, so he probably won't recognize you so don't do anything stupid. And remember, you're only going there check everything's alright in Prythian, maybe train a bit, learn how to use a fucking bow, then come home all bright and cheery. Oh and don't do anything stupid. You're 21. You're an adult. Act like one," her mother lectures, although she can hear the teasing undertones, and see the grin forming its way over her lips. How she seemed to enjoy playing responsible mother.

"I'm offended, dear mother of mine, that you would think of me as anything other than mature," she said in a hurt tone before sticking her tongue out, causing her father to look to the skies and mutter something under his breath. Receiving another elbow in the stomach, courtesy of the Queen of Terrasen, letting out a whoosh of air as they round the corner.

Where her family stood, all of them waiting for her. Dorian had an arm slung over Manon's shoulder, wrinkles beginning to show along the edges of his eyes. He was still beautiful, despite the years weighing down his shoulders. Chaol standing next to them with his wife, Yrene, their son nowhere to be seen, much to Elena's dismay. But then her eyes found Lysandra and Aedion, matching wedding bands around their fingers. Evangeline standing next to them, tall and proud and beautiful despite the scars marring her face. Elide to the left of Lysandra, her ankle no longer a problem after months of work by Yrene, Lorcan standing close to her side as usual. But what wasn't usual was that rare smile slung across his lips.

She felt her lips tilt into a wide smile as she stood there, taking them all in. They'd all traveled to say goodbye to her, and the thought made her chest ache. But she swallowed past the lump in her throat and made to walk forward, realizing she had to get it over and done with or she might never leave.