iv. goodbyes.

It had been four days since I found out I had to leave for the Maze and now, I was scared as hell.
I sat in a small room while the doctors checked and rechecked everything. I had changed into the clothes for the Maze and I wanted nothing more than to say my goodbyes right now, to hug Newt and have him tell me I would be okay.

Eventually, my wishes were granted as the door opened and the doctors left, allowing all of my friends to come in

Eventually, my wishes were granted as the door opened and the doctors left, allowing all of my friends to come in. Minho was the first one to reach me, pulling me into a bear hug. "Hey," he said softly, so only I could hear. "Promise me that when you don't remember me..."
"Hey!" I exclaimed, tears starting to sting my eyes. "Promise me that you won't do anything reckless or stupid out there. Please promise me." I nodded and said quietly, "I promise." Minho smiled and whispered in my ear.
"And promise you won't forget that I'm gorgeous." I laughed at that, leave it to Minho to make me happy when we were in such a bad situation.
Alby came up to me next, giving me a small hug and whispering, "we're gonna miss you, shank. A lot."
"Thanks Alby. Take care of Minho for me, okay?" He nodded and stood in the corner with Minho.
Thomas came up to me and pulled me into a hug, his hand on my shoulder. "Can't you do something?" I asked him and he shook his head sadly, staring at the ground. "You know if I could I would have already. I'm so sorry. I don't want you to have to go. I told them not to. But they won't listen to me, I'm so sorry." He pulled me into a hug and I returned the favor, my arms wrapped around him. "I'll miss you, Tommy," I said quietly and he laughed sadly, pulling away and going to stand with the others after kissing me on the forehead. Newt came over and glanced at the others, they nodded and left the room after giving me one final look. Thomas was crying and I was barely holding myself together. I wasn't going to remember him, my own brother.
"Clarke. I..." Newt leaned over and pulled me into a huge hug, his arms around my waist and mine around his neck. Only now did I let my tears fall. "I don't want to say goodbye." He stuttered between sobs and I cried with him.
"Newt, I'm gonna miss you the most, you know?" He nodded and I let out a small sob, tears streaking my face. He pulled away and pressed his forehead against mine.
"Clarke, you're my best friend. And I know, that we'll find each other okay? Remember I love you." And with that, he leaned down and kissed me softly. Then the doctors came back and our moment ended. Newt put his hand in mine and slid something into it. Then he walked away, glancing at me one last time before walking out of the room and down the hall. And that's when my heart broke. "I love you too." I whispered, looking down to see the bracelet he had made me when we were five in my hands. I was never gonna see him again, at least not when I remembered him, and that killed me.