viii. gathering.

Newt pulled away from me and looked around, noticing all the stares we were receiving. I reached into my pocket, pulling the bracelet out and sliding it onto my wrist. I wasn't as confused anymore.
A tall, older boy with dark skin came walking confidently towards us. "Newt, thought I told you not to let her out until the walls closed." He demanded, his voice stern as his eyes drifted over to me.
"Sorry. I had to do something." Newt replied, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.
"Yeah, I saw it. Pretty sure everyone else did too. What was that about?" The boy crossed his arms over his chest.
"About that... we need to have a Gathering." Newt stayed simply before grabbing my hand and pulling me with him to a small wooden building that looked as if it were about to collapse. We walked inside and I sat in a chair that faced a semicircle of other chairs. Newt sat in one that was in the center of the semicircle.
Soon, a bunch of boys came in, each taking a seat across from me. When the dark skinned boy from earlier sat down, he began talking.
"Okay, here's how this works. We ask you questions. You don't talk at all unless to answer the questions. Got it?" I nodded and he declared the so called 'Gathering' in session.
"Okay. Who wants to ask something first?" The boy from the Maze, Minho, raised his hand.
"I have a question for Newt. Why were you kissing the girl?" He said, smirking at his friend.
"Well, that's interesting actually." Newt rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "It's because I remember her. And she remembers me. From before the maze." Everyone in the room broke into chaos. Asking questions, shouting at each other.
"Everyone shut it!" The leader said.
"Alby, Newt can't possibly remember her. I think she works for the Creators." One boy said, and I would've been offended, but I was distracted by his weirdly shaped eyebrows. His eyebrow game was too strong. He looked like he was sponsored by Nike. I don't even know what Nike is, but it sounds familiar, so I'm going to trust that my brain knows what it's telling me.
"Whoa. She doesn't work for the Creators. She was the first one here in the Glade. She just didn't know." Newt defended me.
"What?" Alby asked. "Not possible. I was the first one here."
"No you weren't. Clarke, explain." Newt turned to me and everyone stared at me, waiting.
"Oh yeah. I was the first one, but I didn't stay. I bolted the second I got here, ran into the Maze with one backpack and a knife. I've been there for like two years." I explained and everyone looked at me strangely.
"How did you get food?" The eyebrow kid asked. My eyes widened and I looked at Newt. He shrugged as I came up with a lie.
"The ivy on the walls, it's edible if you cook it. It tastes terrible, but it's okay I guess." I shrugged. It wasn't a complete lie, I had resorted to it before. If I ran out of food and new supplies hadn't come yet, I'd cook the ivy.
The boys talked amongst themselves and I tuned it out, searching my mind for a way to explain myself further without giving things away. Alby snapped me out of my thoughts.
"So, if you've been in the maze so long, have you found a way out?"
I shook my head. "No. I ran every inch of that place. There's no way out that I can see. You can't even climb out. There's a dome over the whole thing. You can climb, but you won't get anywhere useful. It's impossible. Unless there's some secret passage that I've never seen." I looked at each of the boys before my eyes fell on the Runner. He had his eyebrows raised, almost like he was in shock but still trying to comprehend my words.
"Okay. We need to do something about her. Anyone have any suggestions?" Alby asked. The boy I heard earlier stood up, introducing himself as Gally.
"I say we banish her." Everyone gasped and Newt jumped up, about to confront the boy but Alby put a hand on his chest to stop him.
"Gally, that makes no shuck sense. She hasn't done anything to deserve it." Minho said.
"She came from the maze, she claims to have been here first, she almost took down two of the Runners, and Newt remembers her. That's enough reason. There's something off about her, I don't trust it and I don't think any of you should either." He sat down and all of the Gladers were silent, considering what he'd said. I personally think this is ridiculous. I wasn't a Creator, and I'm pretty sure Newt knows that. He should do something.
"No," Alby said. "It's too harsh. We don't know anything about her. She could be telling the truth."
"Yeah, could be." Gally scoffed. "You're right, we know nothing about this girl. She showed up out of nowhere."
"No." Newt said this time. "We are not banishing her. Any other suggestions?"
"Let her be a Glader." My head snapped up in Minho's direction. "She obviously knows a lot about the Maze. She could be useful. Plus, she hasn't given us any reason not to trust her. I say we let her stay, be the new Greenie for a week while we wait for the real one to come." I mouthed a 'thank you' and he nodded.
"I agree." Newt said.
"I think we should put her in the Slammer." A boy with black hair and a big nose stated. "At least for one day while we find something better for the situation." My eyes widened. For one second, I had actually liked someone in this place besides Newt, and now it's dead. Thanks random Glader. The room was silent as Alby considered it.
"No bloody way!" Newt exclaimed. "You're not seriously considering it?!"
Alby looked at him and they had a small little conversation off to the side. Newt frowned and then rolled his eyes.
"No! Alby this is stupid. She didn't do anything. She doesn't need time in the Slammer!"
"Newt, its just for a day or two while we figure his all out." He put a hand on Newt's shoulder, but he quickly brushed it off. I sighed in exasperation. Alby nodded at someone and two boys approached me, and that's when the fear took over. I shot up out of my seat and dashed out of the room, running outside towards the doors. I heard people shouting behind me, and heard Newt yelling at me to stop.
I was only thirty yards away.
I could make it.
Twenty yards.
I was going to make it out before they got to me.
Ten.
Five.
Then someone ran into me, and I fell to the ground, my head hitting the hard dirt. Someone was on top of me in seconds and I twisted around to see Gally, pinning my arms above my head to hold me down. He smirked as I searched my brain for an escape route. There wasn't one, I wasn't winning this fight. "Get the hell off of me." I growled and he looked taken aback for a moment before hopping up, grabbing me and pulling me with him. The Gladers had caught up to us by now and I saw Newt struggling to get through the crowd. I twisted in Gally's grip, causing him to reposition his hands so that they were wrapped around my waist and he was pulling me backwards towards the Slammer. God damn it.
We arrived at his desired destination and the door was swung open, then I was thrown inside. They slammed the door shut and I sat down, feeling stupid. This was going to be a long night.