Chapter 1

Astrid's P.O.V.

"...And in blue, Florida's very own Queen of the sea, Astrid Hofferson," the announcer introduces me and I look around as they start playing my theme song.

Surf's up, get down, no one's gon' take her crown!

She whips her hair, 

And she does it with flair

Surf's up, get down, no one's gon' take her crown!

She's the queen of the sea....

I drew my hand across my throat before the record died. I hated my theme song, it was so barbie-ish. "Hehe. Guess she's just not in the mood. Maybe she's in the mood for showin' everyone how it's done!" I gave the beach a thumbs up at that as the water lapped over my board.

"Hey, Astrid," my friend, Heather, paddled to my side before sitting up. She flipped her soaked hair over her shoulder before looking at me. "You gotta promise me to rip those waves apart! Rip the surfers apart if you have to, I don't care! Just rule the water!" she shouted.

"When do I not?" I say in mock arrogance. I then bend my body to the side and dunk my head in the water. I then flick my head back up and my hair whips water droplets in an arch over me, making wolf-whistles sound from the beach.

"I swear you're a dude-magnet," she mutters after the starting horn blows and we start paddling deeper into the waves. 

When we're out far enough, we sit on our boards and wait for the first wave. I saw the water starting to rise, not too far away, and turned around before ripping my hands through the water. A few of the other surfers followed me but I was the first to pull my knees up and rise to my feet. The crowd went wild as I zoomed across the water, droplets hitting my face like a gentle mist. I skimmed a little off the brim of the wave before grabbing the edge of my board and jumping into the air with a 360 spin. I land with a small splash before finding my balance again. It wasn't until now that I realized the announcer had been speaking.

"And she does a beautiful trim from the rim with a twirl, graceful as a ballerina. Will she stop there?" the crowd booed and hissed at the suggestion so I waved to the beach before jumping from the water and doing a 180 before heading the other way, across the wave. "And she never disappoints!" the announcer cheers as I head back to the top of the wave and pull my board to my body. When I'm in the air, I do a spin before landing in the water and paddling out to the group again, waiting for the next wave. "Yet again. A perfect score," was heard from the beach and Heather applauds me as I reach the wave zone.

"That was great, Astrid!" she cheered and I roll my eyes in disappointment.

"It was textbook. Where's my tube?" I mutter.

"You'll get it; it's still early. You always get a tube," she says before paddling for a wave. I paddled after her and duck-dived under it as it got too high, watching Heather take it as I come out the other side. She trailed her fingers through the wall of water before doing her signature hand stand. I cheer her on as she distributes her weight to make the board turn backwards. She then goes back to a traditional stand and heads the other way.

"And there's the Heather Stand Switcher. The only stunt that can be pulled off by a single person," the announcer says as Heather jumps off her board and dives over the top of the wave, "That outta get her some points."

"That was amazing Heather," I tell her when she paddles up to me.

"I lost my balance when I was standing up. Almost tipped," she complains as she wrings out her hair.