Chapter 4

Astrid's P.O.V.

I woke up to a sand-paper tongue stroking my cheek. I opened my eyes to see Mark's nose so close to my face it looked like a giant black ball. I pushed him away gently before sitting up to find myself back on the rock, clothes and hair dry even though it was no later than noon. Pain leaked across my head and I massaged my temple before standing up with a grunt. I heard a splash and looked to the water so see nothing. No waves, white-caps, not even a ripple. Memories flashed through my brain about the guy. His hands' touch still lingered on my cheeks and I felt like his gaze was still piercing my being, running me down like a criminal and he was the chief of the force. 

I'm snapped from my thoughts as Mark lets out a sharp, high-pitched bark. I look at him before picking up his leash and walking back up the beach. The sand felt warm on my feet and tiny shells tickled my toes as I lifted a leg. When we reached the beach house, I let the dog off the leash and he scampered up the way before jumping on a sunning chair. I walked inside and hung the leash before heading for the cabinet.

"Oh, there, you are. That's got to be your longest walk with Mark in history," Nana says as she walks in.

"Yeah, got held up," I say as I take out the Tylenol. 

"What's wrong that you need Tylenol?" Papa asks as he joins us.

"Just a head ache," I say before a small wave of dizziness washes over me. I swayed a bit before leaning on the table.

"Are you alright?" Papa asks as he rubs my back.

"Um. Yea," I sigh before taking two pills.

"Heather was over," Nana says as I put the bottle back in the cupboard.

"Oh, crabs," I grumble. I then head upstairs and go to my room before changing. I was about to take out my phone and text Heather but pause as a thud sounds. I look at my window to see sand splattered on the glass. I sigh before opening it and climbing down the tree. I meet Heather and Snotlout on the beach before throwing a punch to his jaw.

"What was that for?!" he whines.

"That window will break if you throw one more sand ball," I tell him and he rolls his eyes. "So what's up with you guys?" 

"We came to kidnap you. There's Night Surfing a couple minutes south. You in?" Heather asks.

"It's a few hours until sundown. Why'd you come so early?" I ask.

"Because you need a new suit and you take forever in the shops," Snotlout says, crossing his arms.

"I do not! To both of those, what's wrong with the one I've got?" I ask.

"It's a granny suit," Heather says and I sigh with a roll of my eyes.

"Well, I got no money," I say before Snotlout holds up a bundle of cash. "My grandparents would never go for it," I try again.

"They said they were fine with it when we were over a few hours ago," Snotlout says. I sigh. Time for the final stab; the D bomb; the 5 words that will surely end my life.

"I don't want to go." Heather stared at me blankly and Snotlout got ready to hold her back.

"Excuse me?" she says, her voice calm while her eyes were fired with anger. "Do you know who is starting it tonight? Eret Eretson. And you were invited specifically," she says.

"So?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"So?! He's only the best surfer on this coast!" she shouts.

"Okay. Most likely not if that dude Hadyen and I are king and queen of the waves," I say, "And besides, it's obvious to everyone that he's been trying to get me into his bed since the day we met."