When the unthinkable happens

Around six in the morning Blake is bending over King's bassinet placing a kiss on his forehead. He knew it was gonna be hard to leave him so soon but he didn't expect it to be this hard. Maybe it's because he and Gwen aren't really in a good place and because it's only been a week since he came home, Blake isn't sure. All he knows is he is having the hardest time he has ever had with leaving. A tear snakes down his cheek as he gives King one more kiss before looking at Gwen. He wants to wake her and kiss her goodbye but after the fight yesterday he is pretty sure she wants nothing to do with him. So instead he whispers a goodbye to her and blows a kiss her way. Walking out the front door was the hardest thing he has ever done.
.....................................................................
Gwen wakes to the sound of King's cry. When she rolls to her back before sitting up and getting King, she sees the bed is empty. She has a burst of fear lace through her as she realizes that Blake didn't wake her to say goodbye he just left. She lets the tears fall knowing it's her fault. Every last bit of this is her fault. She let everyone down by not holding King in longer. About that time she is pulled out of her thoughts by a small cry that meant that she was needed. The best part of this whole thing is that she now has a tiny human that will love her absolutely unconditionally. It doesn't matter what she did or what she will screw up down the road, this little guy will love her no matter because she is his mommy. Gwen gets up and spends her morning breastfeeding Kingston, eating breakfast herself, and sitting on the back porch rocking in the rocking chair that Blake had insisted they get. She lets a few tears fall as she holds King close to her. She is pushing Blake away and she doesn't even understand why. It's her fault he didn't say goodbye. They had gone to bed without talking and she slept facing away from him. She doesn't understand her need to push him away. It only makes her more miserable. She comes back inside to fix herself something small for lunch and then makes her way up stairs to take a nap.
..................................................................
Gwen hadn't realized they had slept so long until she woke to the doorbell ringing. She grabs the video monitor off the side table as King is still sound asleep, and not really wanting to take him to answer the door when she doesn't have a clue who it could be. As she reaches the door she stands on her tip toes to peak out the peephole. She sighs seeing that it's Jen. She opens the door to her sister in law.

"Jen what are you doing here? You scared the crap out of me. Blake's gone and I didn't know who the heck had gotten by the gate." Gwen says moving for Jen to come inside

"Sorry Gwen. I wanted a pizza and movie night and I knew if I called and asked you would say no. So I didn't call I just came." Jen says hold up bags of food and drinks.

Gwen isn't thrilled for the surprise guest but if she is really going to try to be better she needs this. They used to do this every time Todd was out of town. They set everything up in the living room and bring down pillows and blankets. Camp out in the living room. They even bring down all of Kings diapers and such they will need, fully planning on camping in the living room all night.  With both of them laying on the bed they had made in the middle of the living and Kingston laying in between them, they start the first movie.

"Hey Jen?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I talk through something with you?"

"Of course you can Gwen! That's what we are here for, to help each other out."

"Blake and I had a fight yesterday." Gwen says her voice already sounding like she is going to cry

"Really? About what?" Jen asks trying to play unknowing

"He was talking to his mom and blamed me for not be able to carry Kingston to term. He said that all the issues we have been having all are a result of him being born early."

"Gwen I'm sure you misunderstood. Blake would never blame you for that! It wasn't your fault."

"How is it not my fault though? I was the one who couldn't stay calm and relaxed which made me go into preterm labor not once but twice. If the doctors couldn't have stopped labor the first time, King wouldn't even be alive right now." Tears now rolling

She feels like all she does anymore is be mad or so sad she feels like there is no more sunshine in the world. The only thing that has brought her a sense of happiness is her son.

"Gwen women go into preterm labor all the time and it's very rarely ever their fault."

"Yeah but it can be their fault."

"Gwen look at me. This wasn't your fault! There is nothing you could have done to have changed this. Gavin and all of his antics were the cause if there has to be one,  not you!" Gwen doesn't respond not knowing what to say, but a yawn sneaks out. "Gwen go take a nap upstairs and let me worry about Kingston. If he needs to eat or anything I promise I'll come get you. You need the rest Gwen."

Gwen debates protesting but a second yawn sneaks out and so she relents heading up stairs to nap. However her mind has other plans. Once she lays down her thoughts travel to Blake and the status of their relationship. If she keeps pushing him he could end up leaving and taking Kingston with him, he is legally his father. Or just as bad he could leave both of them, she then not only has to cope with the loss herself but Kingston would likely grow up thinking that no one wants him seeing as how both fathers he had left. Gwen lays there for who knows how long thinking through these scenarios. If she doesn't stop she is going to drive herself further into this hole.
                                                                     .................................................................
Blake is sitting in his private plane headed to Kansas for his show tonight. Thoughts of Gwen and everything going on with her cross his mind but he has to push them out or he is going to push himself past his breaking point. Leaving had been so hard this morning. Kingston was so perfect he could hardly believe how lucky they had gotten with him. He felt guilty for leaving. He should have listened to his gut and just staid home because he is going to be miserable this entire trip. Wanting only to be back in LA with his family. Jen had agreed to send him texts to let him know how things were and to send him pictures of King as often as she could. He knew this was gonna be hard but he didn't expect to be this hung up and emotional about it.

"Mr. Shelton did you want something to drink?" Melinda, the fly attendant, asks

"You know what? Yes I do. How about a vodka and sprite?"

"Coming right up sir."

Blake knew he wasn't going to be around his family so why not release some of the stress and have himself a drink. Before she has time to bring him his drink, the pilot turns the seatbelt sign back on. The pilots name is Tom and Blake knows the only time Tom turns the light back on is when they are about to hit some serious turbulence. He hates this part of flying. The turbulence always makes him nervous and he finds out now he hates even more since King has been born. He has a little guy to raise that needs him. When the turbulence starts Blake scoffs assuming this was all there was to it. He is surprised as he feels the plane dip hard and bump about.

"Everyone this turbulence is gonna get pretty rocky. There is no way around it unfortunately so we have to go through. Please stay seated and remember the safety tips that were gone over in the beginning." The pilot says over the intercom

Blake is concerned but flying as much as he had in his life time. He figures it's just the pilot being cautious. Once it starts getting worse Blake starts to worry. He has felt a lot of turbulence in his time but this is crazy. If it weren't for his seatbelt he wouldn't be in his seat anymore. He can see the look on the attendants face and she is terrified. Blake shoots Gwen a text hoping for it to go through. Suddenly he can feel the planes nose dive and a whole other level of fear hits him. This can't happen now, not when he finally has everything he ever wanted! He can hear the pilot yelling on the other side of the door "mayday mayday! I have lost the controls! I repeat mayday we are going down." The attendant has tears pour down her face. Blake can't remember to many moments in his life when he was scared but right now he is terrified. He doesn't know how Gwen would take the news. He would be leaving Kingston fatherless yet again. This isn't fair it's just not fair.

The plane drifts lower and lower to the expanse of forest below them. Upon impact with the first trees Blake's head is bashed against the plane. Once final impact is made with the ground the plane explodes. The article will read "No survivors of a plane crash headed to Kansas. One of the greats is lost."