Chapter 25 - Infiltration

Tachanka huffed in annoyance then exited the office, searching the narrow hallway for any stragglers left. The three followed behind, Jäger and Doc next to each other and Jackal at the back dragging his feet with his arms crossed and a pout on his face.

Upon reaching a staircase, Tachanka flicked his flashlight on then shone it to the next floor. It seemed clear as they headed down the stairs. Being stealthy was difficult with all their equipment and heavy boots, but they tried their best.

"Jackal, can you check if anyone's been around this area recently." Tachanka asked as he examined the hallway they came to with his flashlight. Jackal scoffed in response and got down on one knee with a sigh. He flicked his visor on and skimmed the floor. A few differently patterned and coloured footprints began glowing through his visor. The colours helped him identify how many had passed through recently. He counted in his head the different colours of footprints then nodded confidently, turning his visor off.

"Seven have passed through this hall recently, all heading north from here." He confirmed and Tachanka hummed in response.

"Stay low comrades, we must not attract unnecessary attention." He informed as they snuck down the hallway.

Jäger's shock was finally starting to wear off and he was extremely grateful. He just reminded himself that there was no other option, otherwise Jackal would have died in front of him. It made him feel better about his actions in some way. After all, it was a terrorist who only wanted to inflict harm on others.

A loud crash interrupted Jäger's thoughts and he jumped in surprise. Everyone crouched as if on cue then slowly crept towards the noise. As they got nearer to a room, muffled voices could be heard from behind the door.

"This must've been where they headed." Tachanka stated as he tried to get closer to the door to listen. Jackal flicked his visor back on and confirmed that this was the location the footsteps were headed.

Doc placed an arm in front of Tachanka, signalling him to move then unfolded a breaching charge on the wooden door. Everyone stepped back kept their heads down.

"3..2..1 - boom." The door blasted open, chunks of wood and metal flew towards them. They quickly prepared their firearms then rushed into the room, firing at anything that moved. Tachanka fired several shots into three men that were running towards them. Their bodies fell limp to the floor. Whilst aiming down his sights, Jackal landed shots into the skulls of two other men. Doc ran towards an enemy who was extremely panicked. Tears streamed down his face as he stared at Doc with fear in his eyes. Showing no mercy nor remorse, he planted a bullet straight into his skull with his revolver and his cries were cut off in an instant. Finally, Jäger mustered up enough courage to sprint across the room to the furthest enemy, diving across a counter then unsheathing his knife swiftly and driving it straight into his throat.

Heavy breathing filled the room. Jäger turned with determination plastered on his face. He made his way over to his team. Tachanka chuckled and patted his back. Their mission was a success so far and they were getting closer to completing it. Tachanka smiled proudly at his team mates then turned on his heel, heading out the doorway. The others followed soon after.

They scoped out the rest of the hallway to check for anymore enemies. Room by room, the coast was clear and they were prepared to move onto to the next floor. The final floor.

Heading back to the stairway, they proceeded one by one with their flashlights, cautiously checking ever corner before reaching the third floor. This was it, their main objective. If they could successfully complete this objective, it would give Six a huge advantage in putting a stop to this unknown terrorist group.