I'm Not Perfect

It was the next day. Riley had called her mother to talk and they ended up setting up to meet for coffee. Riley was sitting into the diner with her cup of coffee, she was thinking about leaving.

Riley looked at her phone, "Five more minutes,"

Nancy was running late. Riley wasn't sure if Nancy was even coming, maybe she bailed like Riley wanted to. However, a really nice sport car pulled in and stepping out was Nancy. Riley froze as she looked out the window seeing her mother.

Nancy entered the diner, and her eyes landed on Riley. Nancy looked like an older version of Riley. The women dressed in expensive clothes made her way over to Riley.

"Hi," Nancy awkwardly said.

Riley stood up, wasn't sure if she was expecting a hug of what. Riley went for a hug, but Nancy held her hand out. When Riley went to shake her hand, Nancy switched for a hug.

"Uh- how about we sit down," Riley suggested.

Nancy nods, "Sounds good."

Nancy and Riley sat down. A waitress came over and ordered from Nancy, who just got a coffee. After that there was some silence between the two.

"I heard about your father," Nancy started, "He was a good man."

Riley said nothing to that.

Nancy looks at Riley, "So- What are you up to?"

Riley looks at Nancy, "Uh- well I work as a tech expert for the Intelligence Unit in CPD."

Nancy was taken back, "Really? Impressive." Nancy said.

Riley shrugs, "I guess." She said.

"I guess your father didn't take you working for the cops quite well," Nancy said, "I mean he always had his problem with his coke and booze."

Riley felt uncomfortable talking about her father like that. Sure she wasn't the closest human to him, but he is dead so she'd think Nancy would have respect for that.

"He- uh he didn't really know." Riley said.

Nancy seemed shocked by that, "Really."

The waitress came over and placed Nancy's coffee down and refilled Riley's cup. After that the waitress walked off.

"Any relationships in your life? Dating? Engaged? Married?" Nancy asks.

Riley grabs her cup, "Uh- I think I am dating a guy." She said.

"You think?" Nancy asks.

Riley takes a sip of her coffee, "Well I was- uh there was this intense case I was helping and uh- Will he told me he loved me."

"You love him back?" Nancy asks.

She nods.

Nancy smiles, "Then I think you're dating."

Riley watched her mother. She seemed more elegant than she pictured.

"So what does Will do?" Nancy asks.

"He's a doctor at Chicago Med," Riley said, "I work with his brother in Intelligence."

Nancy looks at her, "A doctor," She smiles, "My daughter has good taste."

Nancy went on bragging about how she and Riley are alike at picking the right men, clearly ignoring the fact she was married to Riley's father until she bailed, and also the fact she abandoned her daughter to start a new family.

Finally having enough Riley asks, "Did you ever move on?"

"What do you mean?" Nancy asks.

"Get married? Have kids?" She asks.