before

"Yeah, but why?" Awsten asked exasperatedly into the phone.

Geoff had already missed two rehearsals in two days; today marked the third. And this had happened last month. And the month before that.

"Awsten, I already told you-"

"No, you're not telling me fucking anything," Awsten snapped. "Does he have a second family somewhere? Is that why he can't get his ass to practice?"

"That's not funny."

Awsten blinked. Otto was usually one to play along with the jokes, but lately he'd been shutting them all down.

"Well, I'm not kidding. What the hell is the deal?"

"It's fine. He's just not feeling well."

"Then tell him to man up!"

Otto started to protest, but Awsten wasn't finished.

"And how come he always texts you about it? What ever happened to the group text?"

"Maybe he knows you'll act like a little bitch, and he doesn't want to deal with that," Otto shrugged.

"Oh, fuck you," Awsten sighed. "Just... You know what? Forget it." He hung up and grabbed his car keys. If Otto wouldn't tell him what was going on, Awsten was going to figure it out himself.

---

Awsten banged mercilessly on the door. "Geoff! I know you're in there, you fucker. Answer the damn door!"

After several moments of Awsten knocking and yelling, the door flung open to reveal an angry Otto. "What the hell?" he hissed.

"What?" Awsten asked incredulously. "Don't 'what the hell' me. What the hell you?! What are you doing here?" He raised his voice and called into the hall, "Geoff, are you too much of a pussy to answer the door now?"

Otto grabbed him hard by the arm and shoved him backwards. He let the door close behind them. "You are out of line," he said dangerously.

"No, you two are. Is this your way of kicking me out of the band?"

"Kicking you out of the-?" Otto shook his head. "Fuck! You're so - god, fuck you, Awsten. All you ever think about is yourself."

"I'm trying to protect my dream! Our dream! This is all I have."

Otto shook his head. Quietly, he said, "You have no idea what you have. What you might lose."

"What does that even mean?" Awsten asked wildly. "What the hell is happening? Can you please just - I'm trying really fucking hard not to get mad at you two, so-"

"Well, save it," Otto dismissed, turning around and opening Geoff's door. "I'm mad enough for all of us. I'll call you later."

"Oh, what, are you gonna go make out with Geoff some more?"

Otto froze, fingers still wrapped around the doorknob.

Awsten scoffed and turned away. "Great. Fucking great," he spat over his shoulder. "It's over. Waterparks is over. I'm done with you two."

Otto spoke so softly that Awsten barely heard him. "What part of 'he's sick' do you not understand?"

"I understand that. It's just that I don't fucking believe you."

"And why not?"

"Because he's fine!"

"Yeah, cause he took time to rest. Now get the hell out of here."

"No. No! It doesn't work like that."

"Yeah, Aws, sometimes it does."

"Only if it's fucking malaria."

Before Otto could say anything else, Awsten shoved him out of the way and barged through the door himself. He couldn't wait to get in Geoff's face and demand to know what had happened, why he was apparently down with the stomach flu, with a migraine, with a bad cold, and then suddenly was fine three or four days later with no trace of any illness at all.

"Geoff!" he yelled.

"AWSTEN!" Otto roared, chasing him down, seizing his elbow, and trying to drag him backwards.

Awsten winced and ripped out of his grasp. He only moved faster. "Fucking hell, dude! What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Awsten, do NOT! Do not go in there!" Otto begged as he chased Awsten. "Dude, please! Don't! I will - I'll do anything! I'll tell you the truth, okay? I'll-"

The tone he was using had Awsten feeling all wrong inside. He meant every word he was saying - Awsten could feel that much. His voice was low and desperate and panicked. It sounded like they had kidnapped a kid and were hiding it in Geoff's apartment, or like Geoff was handcuffed to the bed naked, or like there was going to be a bloody body in the corner. That only propelled Awsten to ignore him further.

"Awsten, PLEASE!"

He flung Geoff's bedroom door open, hoping he was mentally prepared for whatever was on the other side.

But there was nothing.

The bed was unmade, the covers were rumpled, and the bathroom door was halfway open. Awsten went toward it, and Otto got close enough to make one last attempt at darting forward and stopping him, but it was too late. Awsten had already seen what they'd been trying to hide.

Otto's nails stopped digging into his skin.

Awsten stood stock still for several seconds. And then his hand flew up to his mouth. Shakily, silently, he backed up, and then he turned... and dashed out of the apartment.