Ch. i- Meet the Father(s)

Go back into the past
to a time before yesterday
and change the fate of the people of then
by bringing them to today

You frowned at your phone. Since you woke up and unplugged it in the morning, it had been displaying a strange and frankly quite annoying pop-up. No matter how many times you tried restarting your phone, it wouldn't go away. You shut it off again and stuffed it into your pocket, grumbling to yourself about how you were going to have to make an appointment with the nearest AT&T store.

You turned back to the task at hand, shuffling around a few pots and pans in a cabinet, taking out a skillet and setting it on the stovetop. You open the refrigerator, pulling out several different vegetables and setting them on the counter. You were about to reach for a cutting board when your phone buzzed in your pocket. You took it out, hoping that the issue had resolved itself. When it got on to the lock screen, you sighed to see the issue hadn't been resolved. The message had changed though, you noticed.

Perhaps you do not care
or maybe you didn't hear
Read these lines aloud
and your destiny will soon be clear
that the best way to change the past
Is to bring the past to here

I'll Go back into the past
to a time before yesterday
and change the fate of the people of then
by bringing them to today

"Trippy." You say at last, after reading the entire thing multiple times. You look at the unprepared food on the counter. "...meh. It can wait."

You pull out a cutting board and place one of the tomatoes on it, carefully dicing it and sliding it into the pan. You sliced the vegetables one at a time. By the time you were on your last carrot, your phone buzzed in your pocket again. You stared at the carrot for a second before huffing and setting the knife on the counter, not as gentle this time. You pulled your phone out of your pocket again and powered it on again. You were actually surprised at the message this time. No riddles, no poems, no bull. It was almost as if the phone were just as aggrivated with you as you were with it.

Fine. Be difficult. It makes no difference. You still are destined to change the course of history.

One way, or another.

Suddenly you heard someone yell and a loud thump from your upstairs bathroom. You froze for a second in shock before grabbing one of the kitchen knives out of the block and carefully tip-toeing upstairs. As you approached the bathroom door, you heard a faint groaning. You slowly opened the door to reveal a man laying on the floor, holding his head that had obviously banged against the floor. He was wearing clothes that looked like they came from an old movie. Your form shook as you steadily raised the knife towards the man.

"W-who the hell are you?!" You tried to keep the quiver out of your voice the best you could. The man suddenly stopped moving and stared at you blankly. He furrowed his brows in confusion, and slowly sat up, making sure his movements weren't quick and his hands were visible enough for you not to freak out again.

"A-Alexander Hamilton. My name is Alexander Hamilton. Damn it, p-put the knife down, please?"

You reluctantly lowered the knife. "Fine. Why are you in my house? And dressed like you just came from the 18th century?"

"I don't know, and because I did just come from the 18th century. Could I ask you why you're dressed so- wait a minute. If i'm not in the 18th century, where am I exactly?" He said, still sitting propped up against the bath tub.

You lowered the knife the rest of the way. "Uh, New York? In 2017? What the fuck?"

He had a blank look on his face again. "You're bluffing."