X A N D E R

Xander

She refuses to speak a single word to me as we drive back, and I figured I deserve it. Every time I look at her, she turns away, looking out of the window. She could've sat in the backseat, but she still sits in the front with me. I wonder why, but I guess I'll never really figure her out.

I called Emma when Viva was sleeping, and told her to talk to Dad. She got him on the phone, and I tried to convince to let her stay with us. Dad refused; she was a threat to our weaponry, she was the symbol of rebellion against us, and now she's seeking sanctuary in a government official's own home. I told him I didn't care. Viva hadn't done anything to show disloyalty to us (yet).

And then Dad made a deal with me, and I know I'll never be able to come back from it.

We're in Washington Sector when Viva gasps audibly, taking in the houses, the pristine neighborhood. She opens her mouth as if to say something to me, but she doubles over in her seat and clutches her wound, gasping.

"Dude, dude, what's wrong?" I say, almost crashing the car into the garage. Her eyes harden, and for a second I just stare into them, so dark brown they're almost black, yet lighter flecks standing out, looking gold in the sunlight. "I'm fine," she says, and surprisingly, her tone isn't snappy. Nice. I think she might be growing on me. But judging by the slight glare in her eyes, that's not likely. She needs no support as we walk together to the front door, my heart sinking lower and lower as we get closer. I'm not ready for what Emma and Dad are going to say when we're finally alone together, but I'll try to avoid them a long as possible. We reach the door, and with one last look at Viva, I push the key into the hole, and turn it.