Chapter Twelve: Drifting Too Far

Gracelyn

Just as land comes to our sight, the engine shuts off. The waves are rough and large, pulling us back out towards sea. I feel anxious as we lose all momentum from the engine until we're just sitting in silence, rocking in the waves.

"Daniel, what's going on?" Caleb asks, standing up. "And I don't want to be told to be quiet. What happened?"

All of us exchange glances, and then Danny sighs.

"We're out of gas, alright?"

We're so far from land that it's hard to tell if it actually is land. It's bent out of our eyesight because the earth is round, which means we're miles away.

"We're out of gas?" Kyle asks slowly.

"Yes." Danny says. "And I'm sorry, but there really isn't much for me to do about it. We don't have a flare. We don't have a radio."

I check Danny's phone to see if we have any reception, and I'm not surprised to see we don't.

Thunder crackles loudly and I lean against the edge of the boat, shutting my eyes and tilting my head up towards the sky. The rain is slipping down my body and everyone else's.

A few years ago I tried to convince my husband to buy an emergency boat to bring on another boat.

Who's laughing now?

"We need a plan." Miley says finally.

"We have no reception, no gas, no land in sight, no radio and no flare gun." Garret says. "So what's your plan?"

"I don't know." She mutters.

"And all because nobody would go to Georgia." Abby grumbles.

"Not everyone can just drop everything and go to Georgia." I say to Abby quietly.

"Are you kidding? You and Danny are filthy fucking rich and everyone knows it. I know you two have millions."

I hate when people point out how much Danny and I have. Everyone thinks because we have a lot of money, we didn't earn it, but really we started from the bottom just like everyone else, and we still have to do a lot of work to get what we have.

"Okay, what's your point?" I snap.

"The point is that you guys have enough money to get a private jet to fly out here and throw down a ladder." She says. "You two had enough money to go to Georgia-"

"We don't have a car!" I yell at her.

"But you have money so go buy a fucking Range Rover and shut your damn mouth, since it's your fault we're in the goddamn mess anyways!"

If my kids weren't on this boat, I would bitch slap her.

I grind my teeth, digging my nails into my palm out of fury.

Realistically, I would never intentionally hit Abby, or anyone. I'm not my Mother.

"I have a solution!" I say sarcastically. "How about I pay the boat to fill itself up, since I'm so fucking rich!"

"Girls, stop." Dad says harshly. "Abby, you're being a brat, and Grace, so are you."

"I didn't do anything!" I say, outraged.

"I don't care!" He raises his voice slightly. "Enough is enough, alright? This arguing won't solve anything!"

He's right, so I press my lips together and stay silent.

"You're such a little bitch." Abby mutters.

I see Emily crawl out from the cabin, so I decide it would probably be best if I don't respond to Abby, so instead of cussing her out, I stay silent, but my glare doesn't disappear, and gaze stays on her face. She glares back.