Epilogue

Epilogue

Danny

My phone chimes loudly on my thigh, causing everyone to look at me with wide eyes.

"Was it her?" Emily asks, standing up. I sigh and glance down at my screen, and then I cringe.

"No, it's just T-Mobile telling me the bill is ready to be paid."

My daughter runs her hand through her long blonde hair.

"She said she would be here."

"She will be here."

"Not on time!" She throws her hands up. "I can't go without her!"

"I'll do it for you, if you'd like." Abby offers.

"Thank you but no." Emily says. "Nobody is doing it but her. Dad, will you please call her again?"

"No Emily. Her location says she's still there and I've called her six times."

"What if something is wrong?" Eileen asks. "Maybe we should call somebody to go check on her."

"There's nobody there for us to call." Marie says.

"Would everyone just calm down?" I say. "She will be here."

"I don't see why she couldn't wait until tomorrow to go to Maryland." Ethan grumbles.

"Because we have a ton of open houses on Monday."

"So? That gives her all weekend." Emily argues.

"No it doesn't because everyone wants to see the house. That gives her yesterday and today."

"But Dad, if you would just call her-"

"Emily Juliet, I said no. You need to have more faith in her. She said she would be here and she will."

Emily sinks down onto the staircase leading up to the front door and puts her head in her hands.

"She said she would be here. She promised."

"And she will be here." I say patiently.

She sighs.

"Well if she doesn't show up in time, I'm not going."

"You're going." Jessica, Emily's best friend says.

"No I'm not."

"You're still going." Abby sighs.

I know though, that if Emily says she's not going, it means she is really not going.

How do I know that?

Because she's just like her mother, and if Gracelyn said she wasn't going somewhere, she would do anything to not go.

She's stubborn. It's in her blood.

"And what do you plan to tell Ryan?" I ask.

"I'll tell him I have E Coli...or SIDS."

"Do you even know what SIDS is?" I ask.

"No, but it sounds scary."

"It's Sudden Infant Death Syndrome."

"Oh..."

"So unless you want to go back eighteen years..." I trail off.

"I just...I don't get it! We were supposed to be getting ready a half hour ago! Dad, just call her one more time. Please."

I open my mouth to rely when my phone starts ringing on my thigh. It's a random number and I usually never answer them, but something is telling me to answer this one.