Chapter Twenty: Boxes

THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER AND I AM VERY SAD ABOUT IT BUT IT HAS TO HAPPEN

*****

Chapter Twenty: Boxes

Gracelyn

"Abby we've been sitting here for two hours and you haven't said a word." I say quietly. She nods a little, looking out at the water.

"I don't even recognize myself anymore." She whispers.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know. I always thought that in the whole family, I would be the successful one. I would be the one with the money and the kids and the excellent marriage and the beautiful house." She looks down. "But here I am, in a ton of debt with no money to pay in off, in a loveless marriage..."

"Your marriage is not loveless."

"The only love we share together is for Addison. I don't get it. We have sex, right? But there's no affection. I mean when is the last time you and Danny really sat down and talked."

I hesitate.

"Like three hours ago."

"See? I can't remember when I did that with Garrett. I told him how I felt and he didn't know what to say. We sat in silence for an hour before he admitted he hasn't loved me more a while...and I haven't loved him either. We agreed on a divorce."

"That is not a solution. You can do things to fix it."

"Yeah? Like what?"

"Like making him fall in love with you all over again."

She shuts her eyes, looking upset.

"He told me he doesn't even recognize me anymore. He told me that the real me would never act the way I have been with you, and he's right." She turns to me. "I'm so sorry, Grace. You're an amazing person, wife and mother. I'm sorry for being so terrible."

I study her for a long time before I give in.

"I forgive you."

No matter what she did, she's my cousin. I'll forgive her.

She lets out a breath and rubs her face.

"What would you do in my situation if it were you and Danny?"

I think about my husband, who probably went upstairs to bed seeing as it's three in the morning.

"I would fight for my marriage, that way if it ends up divorced, I can say I did everything in my power to save it. If not for me, for my kids."

She sighs quietly and nods.

"I guess I should go then." She stands up. "I'll see you."

She walks down the balcony steps and around the back. I go into the house and shut the door, sighing.

"What did she want?"

I jump at my Mom's voice.

"You scared me." I mutter.

"Sorry." She mutters.

"Her and Garrett aren't doing well." I say. "And she apologized for how she's been treating me."

She's quiet for a moment, and then, "and you forgave her? Just like that?"

"Yeah." I say. "I'm too old to be holding grudges."

She nods a little.

"Okay."

"I'm going to bed." I mutter. I'll see you in the morning."