"A Moment's Respite" + Leia Organa

They hurried through the antechamber, side by side, barely keeping their giggles contained.

Amilyn stopped, pulling her face into the best imitation of their guest lecturer she could, and in a voice pitched down low quoted back his exact words. "Ensuring public safety and galactic security must be our first priority, one that takes precedence over all others. Social service programs may sound well and good, but in the end programs to feed the hungry or house the homeless are useless if we do not ensure our military is equipped with the newest and best weapons possible."

"Amilyn! Hush, someone might hear us!" Leia wasn't too worried. If any of their fellows overheard the two of them they'd think them just bored and cagey after an awful day long presentation. Not that the two friends actually were radicals, part of an organized movement aiming to bring the government down, and they were particularly disgusted with today's strain of Imperial Propaganda.

They'd have to return to the Apprentice Legislator's chambers soon. Each alone in her pod, with no one to commiserate with as the dreadful man droned on and on.

Yet for now, during this break, they grasped each other tight, and let their feelings be known.

Amilyn dragged Leia out onto a balcony, covered with vines and flowers. It was warm outside, the sun on their skin welcome after a long morning in the controlled environment of the Apprentice Legislature.

It was only the two of them out there, the nearest people a smattering of pedestrians on a walkway several levels below. Well out of hearing range. They had swept this area for surveillance devices ages ago, had made it their regular place to gather when the Apprentice Legislature was in session.

"Now that we're alone, I can complain, right?" Amilyn's comment was more a whine than anything else, and Leia laughed.

They huddled close on the balcony, gazing at the clouds that drifted by the nearby Imperial Palace.

Amilyn pointed towards one as it floated past the highest tower. "Look, Leia, it's a tooka. And that one is a convor, and..." Leia tuned out her words, instead luxuriating in the comfortable ebb and flow of her friend's song-like voice, and the way she could feel slight vibrations where their bodies touched.

For a moment, just a moment, Leia imagined she could sense more than that, that Amilyn's boredom and frustration and deep fierce loyalty were all tangible things - but it was just her imagination running wild.

Spending too much time in the presence of Amilyn Holdo did tend to inspire all sorts of strange fantasies.

Amilyn's head was leaning on Leia's shoulder now, and Leia felt more than heard it when Amilyn sighed.

"Do you ever... I dunno... wish there was more we could do?"

"More?"

"Than just... playing out the role of loyal members of the Imperial government. I mean I get it, I do, but... I thought joining a rebellion would be a bit more exciting than just... continuing to do what I always did, just with really aggressive mentorship from Senators who are part of this movement."

"We're collecting information Amilyn, we're essentially spies. Then when we become real Senators we're going to be actual spies, covert operatives for a secret organization no one else knows exists. How is that not exciting enough for you?"

"I know that they are sending you on missions now, I heard about Lothal and all the other planets where you somehow lost ships. Can't you... I dunno, take me with you?"

"I don't control where I get sent, or who they send me with. But if you want I'll let my father know you want to do more."

"...and Senator Mothma too?"

"Why don't you ask her yourself?"

"She likes you more than me!"

"You... you really think so?"

Amilyn laughed, impressed with Leia's ability to miss the obvious affection the Senator held for her.

As Leia frowned at Amilyn's laughter she checked her chrono, then let out a low groan filled with endless frustration.

"The break is almost over. We have to head back in."

Amilyn sighed, and glanced at the clouds once more before heading into the building, arm wrapped securely around Leia's shoulders.

Until they reached the chamber itself they would be one unit, the two of them against the entire Empire. Just for this little while more.