Only us.

"Common, just tell me what's wrong." I peaked into Draco's dark room, looking at his hunched form on the bed.

"You know what's wrong." He spat, but I could tell he didn't mean it in a harsh way.

"Because I found out why you came to America? Because of everything with the Dark Lord?" I asked softly. Draco clutched his forearm harder.

"You were never supposed to know." He mumbled, trebling. My expression softened and I stepped into the room. "I told you to go looking for answers!"

"I didn't go looking. It was in the paper." I bit my lip. "Is that why you always wear long sleeves? Because of the mark?"

"Great. Yes. Now you know how horrible your boyfriend is and how he aided the Dark Lord, causing the deaths of hundreds of Students and the life of Hogwarts best headmaster." Draco spat watch word with hatred, but the hatred was more pointed at himself than anything else. "You can leave now,  tell your friends what a horrible person I am. Honestly I don't understand why you even want to be with such a-"

"I don't need you to sell me on reasons to want you." I snapped, hating the way he talked about himself. "I don't need you to search for the proof that I should!"

I stepped into the room, fists clenched.

"You don't have to convince me, you don't have to be scared your not enough, Draco!" My heart raced as I stared at the back of his head. My voice softened. "Because... what we've got going is good."

"I don't need more reminders if all that's been broken, I don't need you to fix what I'd rather forget!" I thought back to when I caught a glimpse of his mark, the stained skin littered with scars of where he'd tried to cut it off. He spent days trying to make me forget about seeing it by taking me out to dinner and buying me things. I dropped the subject, seeing how much it bothered him.

"Clear the slate and start over! Try to quite the noises in your head!" I stepped forward and sat next to him on the bed, facing the opposite direction. I let the tension leave me. It wouldn't help the situation. "We can't compete with all that..."

"So... what if it's us?" I felt Draco stiffen beside me, but He avoided my gaze. "What if it's us and only us? And what came before won't count anymore or matter... can we try that?"

"What if it's you, and what if it's me, and what if... what If that's all that we need it to be? And the rest of world falls away?" I leant back back and tried to catch Draco's stormy gaze, a soft and hopeful smile playing on my face. "What'da say?"

Draco didn't answer right away, looking into my eyes. He seemed to search them, looking for a reason to for me to lie. When he couldn't find one he turned his head back to his lap, fumbling with his sleeve.

"I... never thought there'd be someone like you who would want me." Draco took a deep breath and pulled his bottom lip between his teeth, shaking his head in disbelief at his own thoughts. "So... I gave you 10,000 reasons to not let me go."

"But, if you really see me, if you like me for me and nothing else-" Draco finally looked up and met my gaze. I didn't know what caused him to have so many walls, but the look in his eyes showed such raw emotion my breath caught in my throat. "That's all that I've wanted for longer than you could possibly know."

"So, it can be us." Draco stated firmly, tentatively reaching for my hand. I took it and laced our fingers. "It can be us and only us. And what came before won't count anymore... or matter."

Draco gave me a half smile as he gazed almost lovingly into my eyes.

"We can try that."

"It's not so impossible," I smiled back, leaning to touch our foreheads.

"Nobody else but the two of us here." Draco pressed into my touch. "Only because you're saying it's possible."

"We can just watch the whole world disappear." I reached up and cupped his cheek, lost in our childish thoughts of a future. Or maybe... they weren't so childish after all.

"Till you're the only one I still know how to see." Draco laughed, playing along. "It's just you and me."

"It'll be us. It'll be us and only us." I found myself getting lost in his eyes for the millionth time since I met him at that coffee shop in New York. "And what came before won't count anymore..."

"We can try that." My lips brushed Draco's, his free hand coming up to my neck.

"You and me. And that's all that we'll need it to be..." Draco glanced down at my lips, his breath fanning my cheeks. "And the rest of the world falls away."

"The world falls away..." I repeated, lost in a trance.

"And... it's only us." With that, Draco pressed his lips to mine, letting the world fall away.

•••••••
Chargers2020