Chapter 4: Telltale Tails

(Sorry it's been so long since I updated, but I'd been trying to hold out actually posting this chapter until someone decided to PM me for the little sort-of-contest I'd set up last chapter. Since it doesn't seem that anyone is bothering to give an answer, I'm posting this chapter regardless. It has certainly been quite the turn of events for the recurring characters, ne?~ Heh heh.)

5:25 AM, Rynn's and Alkanet 's place

Alkanet silently made her way downstairs, her book held tightly against her bosom. She was careful not to wake the triplets as she snuck out. Surprisingly, Rynn had actually woken up early on her own and already left for school, wanting to get there early for some odd reason.

She closed the door as quietly as possible with a sigh. Her ears remained alert for the slightest sound and she ran off quickly, heading to Shizuo's place with the kitten she'd found yesterday on her shoulder.

She had every intention of telling Shizuo what she hadn't when they'd had a run in with Izrafel and James. He was a part of this now, no matter how she looked at it. Izrafel and James would assume he knew more than he did simply because he happened to be with Alkanet when the two had found her. She just didn't want to accept that before, but she knew better. It was better if she had the book now in her hands when she told him what she wanted to relay, anyhow, so it was somewhat of a good thing that she'd said as little as possible before.

6:10 AM, Shizuo's place

She bit her lip gently as she knocked and felt somewhat disappointed that it was Kasuka who answered the door.

"Oh, Silvershadow-san, hello again. Are you here to see Shizuo?"

"Hai. Is he awake yet?"

"No. He was still asleep when I went to check on him a few minutes ago."

"D'you mind if I stay here and wait for him?"

"Not at all. You can sit on the couch in the living-room if you want to while waiting."

Alkanet nodded.

"Arigatou, Kasu-kun."

6:19 AM, Shizuo's place/living-room

Alkanet sat on the couch, waiting for Shizuo to wake up. She looked over the book she'd brought with her sitting on her lap, her eyes gazing at the argentite overlaid birchwood cover. She ran the tips of her fingers over the intricate design surrounding the image of a cloaked figure, the only part of which that could be seen uncovered by the cloak being the skeletal hands. The title of the book was written in a language unknown to humans, ancient runes she knew how to read.

"Why're you here?"

Alkanet snapped her head up and smiled brightly when she saw Shizuo standing there. He was wearing the t-shirt and shorts he'd slept in and his hair was dishevelled. She stood up and held the book close to her chest, her smile fading somewhat.

"There's something I need to tell you. It would be best to go somewhere we won't be overheard."

"Ah, okay. Just let me get dressed first."

She nodded and waited for him to come back.

7:13 AM, somewhere in Ikebukuro

Alkanet and Shizuo were in an abandoned parking-lot, and the two of them sat beside a car with a notice on it saying to call a phone number if anyone knew the owner of the vehicle. Shizuo listened without really listening as she explained what she could to him. She sighed when she finished speaking.

"So you're half faerie? D'you...you know...have wings?"

Alkanet laughed.

"Not all fay have wings, Shizu Shizu. No, I don't. But I could use magick to give myself wings if I wished to. I've done it before, and it's nice to fly sometimes."