A Murder Of Crows {7}

Our last class let out and I slumped back in my chair. Outside, it was raining heavily, the sky dark and visibility extremely low.

                I got up and gathered my stuff, shoving it in my bag. I still had some time before Kieran carried out his plan. I'd have to use that time to work on homework in case this job turned into a late night one.

                I turned to leave and almost ran into Jamison. He caught my shoulder before I could hit him and gave an apologetic smile.

                "Sorry, didn't think you were going to turn around so fast," he said.

                "Well, I did. Out of my way," I said, gesturing him aside.

                "I take it I can't change your mind about dinner?" he said.

                "No. I told you I'm busy today," I said.

                He stepped aside, but followed me out of the classroom. "I'm going to be pushy about it. I feel bad about yesterday's dinner. I know it was a little boring."

                "'A little boring' is pretty generous," I said.

                "Oh, harsh," he said with a whistle. "True, but harsh."

                I mentally sighed as Val came into view, waiting at the door. Cole was next to her, the two of them talking even as Val's eyes searched the hallway.

                She caught sight of me and waved me over. Jamison followed me to the two of them.

                "I knew you'd just charge out into the rain, so I brought an umbrella," Val said, waving it in my face.

                I pushed it away. "It's rain, Val. It won't kill me."

                "He's got a point," Cole said.

                "You're not walking back in the rain without an umbrella," Jamison said to Cole. "I'll walk you back if I have to."

                "You're all such freaks about a little rain," I said. "Fine, Val, let's go. I have a lot of work to do tonight."

                "Come on, Cole. We have a meeting," Jamison said. "I'll see you later, Cor."

                "Mhm," I mumbled, pushing the door open and heading outside.

                Val hurried after me, popping the umbrella open as we stepped out into the rain. We started for the dorms, kids running all around us to escape the rain.

                "Are you ready for tonight?" Val said.

                "Of course." I put my hands in my pockets as we walked. Hopefully the sound of the rain thundering against the roof of the building Kieran would be at would help hide any noises his target made.

                The rain would also make it harder for him to keep a hold on his target, though. Hopefully Kieran had thought all of this out. He was smart, sure, but the only way to stay ahead was to think of every possibility, every advantage and disadvantage.

                Val and I reached the dorms and went inside. Val grabbed my arm before I could head for my room, instead pulling me towards Kieran's room.

                "I don't want to deal with him," I said, stumbling along after Val.

                "Too bad! It's about time you see how he gets away with being a Collector without his face being seen," Val said.