A Murder Of Crows {15}

"Cor!"

                I didn't slow down at Val's voice. She hurried to catch up to me, a bright smile on her face.

                "Good morning," she greeted.

                "It was until you showed up," I said.

                "You're so moody, Jpeg," she said, nudging me a little. "I talked to our friend Nia yesterday, by the way."

                "Good for you," I said. So that's what she and Jamison had been arguing about when they came into the Nest.

                "Well, she's not very good at keeping secrets, you know," Val said. She smirked a little. "But I am. I have some things I think you'd like to know."

                "Not interested," I said. Val never just gave away information. There was always a purpose, some end goal she had in mind. And the worst part was that I often couldn't figure out what that goal was until it was too late. It was better to stay in the dark than gamble on getting information from Val.

                "Are you sure?" Her smirk had grown. "This is very important information, Jpeg."

                "Couldn't care less," I said. I only had to endure her until I reached my classroom. But, god, the walk felt so long all of a sudden.

                Val shrugged. "Your loss. And trust me, it is very much your loss."

                "Speaking of loss, any chance of you getting lost?" I said hopefully.

                "Nope." She shook her head. "I'm walking you to class. You hid from me last night. We're never going to finish that damn puzzle if you keep this up."

                "Finish it yourself if you're just going to break into my room," I said.

                We reached the academic building and I hurried forward into my classroom. I pulled Jamison's textbook out and went over to his desk, dropping it on there.

                Jamison jumped a little at the sudden thud and looked up. "A simple 'Here's your textbook, Jamie' would've done."

                "When have I ever called you Jamie? That's way too familiar," I said.

                "Fine, fine, fair enough. Thanks for bringing the textbook back so quickly," he said, sliding it into his bag.

                I take his textbook and I'm still the one who gets thanked. This guy sure was something.

                I took my seat, actually managing to pay attention to my morning lectures. Normally I zoned out, thinking about Jamison and the Crows. But today I focused, taking careful notes and not letting myself get distracted.

                By the time lunch came around, I'd managed to wipe most of my nosy curiosity from my mind for the time being. It wasn't like me to get so involved in other peoples' lives and pasts, and it was frustrating me that I couldn't stop the urge to keep digging until I knew what had gone down between all of them.

                I filled my tray and went to our table, sitting down with Kieran and Mia. My eyes flickered to Kieran's wrist, but his bracelet was hidden by his sleeve.

                Kieran looked up and his expression changed from emotionless to furious in a flash. I sank down in my chair a little, already knowing what Val did.