4

newt:
"Its okay. You didn't deserve that."
Newt shrugs. Maybe he did, for being such a bloody prick all the time, but he's made a promise to himself, and to Thomas that he'll learn, or at least try to, be there for others instead of himself.
"How's your nose?" Newt adds, trying to remove some of the weight of the conversation.
"Sore, but whatever." Thomas says with an quick eye roll. "Do you want breakfast? I'm hungry as hell."
Newt nods eagerly, standing.
"Hang on a sec, Tommy." Newt says, grabbing a clean tissue from the box on his desk. "May I?" He says, gesturing to Thomas' nose, which still has blood dried underneath it.
Thomas nods, walking to his bed so he can sit with Newt, to make it easier. He shuffles along and pats the space beside him, Newt sits.
He leans close to Thomas and quickly wipes the blood away. Thomas winces but tries to hide it.
"Shit, sorry. I'm not known for having a soft touch." He grins sheepishly.
Thomas laughs. "I can see that."
Newt laughs with him and sits back from Thomas, looking at him, a soft grin on his face.
"What?" Thomas says, with a smirk.
"Sorry, just thinking about how you called your supposed friend a nobody. For me?" Newt chuckles, when he pictures Gally's stupid, gormless expression.
"Jesus, I can't believe I really said that." Thomas says, laying his head in his palms, his shoulders shaking slightly from laughter. "Looks like I don't have any friends anymore."
"What am I then?" Newt says, raising his eyebrows.
"This is happening? The Sir Newton is gracing me with his friendship! I'm not worthy!"
"Shut your bloody mouth Tommy." Newt yells, punching Thomas in the arm.
"Breakfast?" Thomas asks.
"Alright" Newt replies, standing and throwing the tissue in the trash.
Thomas follows him out the door and they walk side by side down the hallway together, passing other boys, a few of which give the pair an odd look.
Thomas turns to Newt and they share a bored look and a smile.

"Hello boys."
Newt glances up to the source of the voice to see their principal, Ava Paige standing in-front of them.
"Hello Ms Paige." Thomas says, smiling politely.
"I see Newt, that you took what I said into account" She says giving Newt a fleeting look of warmth.
"Yes, I did. We worked out our differences, whatever they were." Newt pauses. "But, I still wish I knew more about the backgrounds of our conversation."
Ms Paige nods. "Ah. Well, I'm sure the truth will come into light sooner than you think." She looks troubled by this sentence, but continues. "You should know, that it may be difficult to believe at first, but it is real. Almost too real."
Newt frowns, and with a look to Thomas, sees his friend is doing the same.
"Don't worry. I hope this new information hasn't troubled you, you needn't  worry about it at all. Not yet."
Thomas smiles, Newt, (still learning the meaning of politeness) just nods.
"Thank you, Ms Paige. We better go to breakfast, we're running late."
"Of course. See you later boys."

She walks past them, down the hallway, her heels clicking on the floor.
"What the bloody hell was that?" Newt exclaims, more freaked out than he was before.
"Don't ask me!" Thomas replies, raising his hands in protest.
Newt remembers his dream and shivers a little despite the jumper he's wrapped himself in.
"I bloody hope that my dream was just a dream."
Thomas chuckles. "Don't lose your mind on me Newt. You're not physic, it was just a dream."
Newt laughs. "You're right, you're right. Sorry Tommy, I get a little lost sometimes."
Thomas nods, before stopping in front of the door to the breakfast room. There's a sign stuck up on the door.
'Breakfast is being served up till 9:15, opposed to the usual 10:am. Whole school assembly at 9:45. If any pupils do not attend there will be serious consequences. Students are welcome to remain in the dining-hall until the assembly. Thank you." Thomas says, reading aloud.
Thomas shrugs. 'Whatever. I'm starving, lets go."
Newt pushes open the door and they step into the room. Newt is immediately hit with the smell of grease and bacon and beans, which sleep deprived him would have trouble stomaching, but now, he's almost drooling.
They walk, their shoulders touching towards the queue, which surprisingly is short for a Saturday morning.
"Newt!"
Newt turns his body to face Frypan, one of is meal buddies. He's sure they're only sitting with him because they pity him. After all he did use to sit alone at tables, picking at his food.
"Newt?"
"Oh yeah sorry Frypan, I zoned out. Hi."
"You coming to sit with us?" He looks at Thomas. "We have room for two."
Newt looks at Thomas for a sign that he doesn't want to sit with his bloody freaky friends, he's unsure whether Thomas will sit with his friends or not.
"We'll be there. Save us a spot. Thanks Frypan." Thomas replies, on Newts behalf.
Frypan winks. "Gotcha." Before turning on his heel and going to sit beside Jeff and Winston. Another two of Newt's pity friends.
The two boys walk up to the counter, and Newt piles his plate with food. He feels he deprived himself for so long, when he'd stumble into breakfast in the morning, barely functioning.
He takes his plate to the table where Frypan is madly waving at him, and sits.
"Newt, you seem actually alive today." Winston says.
"Nice of you to say mate."
Newt sits awkwardly, receiving weird glances from the others when he calls out to Thomas.
Thomas sits down in the empty seat beside Newt, greeting everyone around the table. Newt feels considerably more relaxed when the usually awkward silence is filled by Thomas' voice.
They all eat silently, Newt for the first time in a long time, savouring every bite.
Thomas checks the clock in the back of the room.
"Shit, It's 9:40. We'd all better get to the assembly."
All the boys stand up, hastily, anxious to get to the assembly in time, unsure what the mentioned serious consequences are.

The group seat themselves in a row near the back of the hall, a hum of curious chatter around the room. A bell rings, and everyone is silent.
Principal Paige steps onto the stage.
"Good morning students. I trust you have all eaten, if not speak to a member of staff, who can provide you with something. Sorry for any inconvenience caused, but this was a big a surprise to me, as I guess it is to you.
I received contact from a colleague, who had to share some news. He and I thought it would be best if he came to speak to you all himself, so here I introduce, Janson."
A man with pointed, almost sour features steps out onto the stage, a stupid smirk plastered on his face. Newt already dislikes this man.
"Hello students, I am Janson. I belong to an organisation, which I assume the majority of you in this room will be unaware of. The organisation is named WCKD. World In Catastrophe Kill-zone Department."
Newts heart jumps to his throat and he grabs Thomas' arm and squeezes.
"Our name may sound terrifying, and worrying, but we assure you we are the complete opposite. Our focus is to find a cure. To what? You may be thinking. But theres a simple explanation as to why schools across the district and across the country have not let their students beyond their grounds. There has been an outbreak, currently minor, of a virus. We like to call it the Flare. It was caused by solar flares, which scorched the planet. A section of the outside world it currently in a danger zone. We are hoping the outbreaks do not continue, and if they do, we pray that they're small. We are working for a cure, we will stop this virus. But only with help from you."

Ms Paige steps up beside Janson. "We had everyone in the school injected with a extremely concentrated dose of the virus, to examine your reactions. As you remember, your reactions were severely different. After hundreds of meetings and tests, we have selected a number of you, to eventually assist us with this research, towards the cure. We wont need you entirely for a while now, but we want to have some brief meetings with the boys we have selected."

The principal searches the faces of the boys in the room, some look excited, some frightened.
"Please, do not be frightened. Its for the greater good." Ms Paige, her eyes softening.
"Janson, you're up."

"Here I have a list of 8 boys, who we have recruited. You will know who you are when your name is read."
Janson inhales.
"Winston, Frypan, Gally-"
Newt notices Thomas grip the armrest hard.
"Zart, Jeff, Thomas-"
Thomas, fear filled eyes, stares at Newt, grabbing onto Newt's arm and pressing down.
"Careful Tommy, you'll shatter my arm." Newt whispers.
"Chuck, and last but not least, Newt."
Newt returns the look of terror to Thomas, feeling his heart drop.
"Can all of these boys report to my office immediately after this assembly." Ms Paige adds, looking for all the boys who's names were called in the crowd. For the most part, the boys looks like they could bloody shit their pants.
There's chatter.
"Never forget, pupils." Janson finishes.
"WCKD is good."

eek idk how i feel about this. i just went for it.
im On my way to america for the first time.
<333