15

Newt:
It's today. He doesn't understand how it came along so quickly. He feels so unbelievably unprepared to leave his old life behind, it's almost laughable. Almost.
He's scared. He doesn't know how Thomas is feeling but he guesses not great. They share the weight that lies on their shoulders but for Thomas it's heavier, knowing he is the reason Newt will never look at him the same.
Newt's said his goodbyes to his friends. It was hard, and teary. Frypan especially, he always knew Frypan was a complete softie on the inside, he was truly lucky to have found people like them in the end. He was sad to see them go. He was sad to see everything go.

Newt had been sitting on his bed in the darkness alone for a while. Teresa said she'd come get him when it was time to go into the med lab for his doctors check up. She assured him there would be no memory altering till the evening. He'd arrive in the maze at mid morning maze time. The maze ran on artificial sun and moon, the days were scheduled, just like everything else in his life.
He stared at the wall for longer until his eyes went out of focus. He had zoned out completely.
Teresa called his name through the door.
"You ready?" She said, pushing open the door lightly and sticking her head round the gap.
"Am I ready to get prodded and questioned and tested for hours? You bloody bet I am!" He replies, smiling.
Teresa lets out a forced laugh, before shutting her mouth tightly into a line. She doesn't like this any more than he does.
They walk silently alongside each other, the bright white lighting catching Newt off guard, after being shut in a dark room for hours.

They reach the med lab and Teresa leads him in, hands over what he guesses is his file, gives him a nod and a smile and leaves.
"Subject A5. Newton. Please, take a seat on the bed, the woman says gesturing to a foam mattress with large sheets of paper towels laying on top. He sits down and feels the paper crunch beneath him. He cringes.
The nurse proceeds by pulling up his shirt sleeve up to almost his shoulder and taking his blood. He winces and inhales sharply  when the needle pricks his skin. He watches the blood collect in the tube. This used to freak him out before but he gets blood taken every week now, he's almost surprised it hurt.
The nurse smiles at him sweetly. He always liked her. He's sad that he wont ever see her again. She leads him through the next few stages of his check up and he's poked, samples are taken and he feels the nerves build up in his stomach and a lump form in this throat. He's preparing to say goodbye.
"You're all set!" She says, helping him roll down his shirt sleeve.
"Thank you." He whispers, sincerely and she squeezes his shoulder briefly. "Good luck Newton."
There's a knock at the door. Teresa pokes her head round.
Newt hops off the mattress and walks over to Teresa. Nodding his head at the other staff in the medical room. What he hopes is signalling a silent thank you.

"How was it?" Teresa asks, cheerily.
"Okay. I never thought I'd feel it but I'm gonna miss them and this." He says calmly, gesturing around him.
"We'll miss you." Teresa whispers. "I know Thomas will."
Newt's heart sinks even deeper and his somewhat calm mood disappears as soon as it had come.
He nods silently, focusing on his breath. Teresa doesn't say anything further.
Newt didn't pay attention to where they were walking, but they stop outside Ava Paige's office. Teresa knocks politely.
"Come in!" She calls out, seemingly stressed.
Teresa pushes open the door and it opens seamlessly without a creak.
"Thank you Teresa. You may go."

"Newton. Please sit." Ms Paige says with one of her signature soft smiles.
He sits slowly down into the armchair that rests in front of her desk.
"I'm sure you're more than aware of what's happening to you in the next 24 hours, and I'm also equally as sure you are as upset and scared as you should be." She inhales. "I wanted to first apologies for that. I know we took you away from your chance of a normal existence, and your friends, but we haven't taken away your happiness. That's up to you."
Newt nods.
"The maze is what you make it. Make it yours Newton. Save some lives."
"I wont let you down Ms Paige." Newt says, looking down at the ground.
"Please, call me Ava." She says, sitting on the corner of her desk.
"Thank you Ava. I think I'm ready to go."
She nods slowly but surely. "Let's go."
She stands quickly. "I think you have someone to say goodbye to first. I'll leave you two alone for a while." Ava walks away and out of the door.
Thomas steps out from the dark and shadowy back of the room.

Thomas
Newt's face immediately softens, and his eyes well up with tears. Thomas follows suit.
"Hi."
"Hey Tommy."
Newt wipes at his eyes. Thomas laughs.
"So..." Thomas says.
"So. This is it." Newt replies taking a step forward. Thomas steps forward to almost meet him, face to face.
Sigh. "I'll miss you Newton, but you bet I'll be back with you as soon as I can. You know me, can't stay away."
"Yep. I'll see you soon. You've been bloody remarkable."
"So have you."
Newt goes in for a hug and Thomas wraps his arms the whole way around Newt, hopefully not for the last time.
"I love you Thomas."
"I love you."

Newt walks with Thomas in complete silence towards the memory modification section of the medical lab. He doesn't want to ruin Newt's strength and calm.
They stop outside. "Can you come in with me?" Newt asks, weakly.
Thomas nods.
They walk in and Thomas ignores the stares he gets from the staff.
"Are you prepared Newton?" The doctor asks.
"It was a great 1st attempt. I'm ready for round 2. 2nd times a charm, right?"
Thomas laughs.
Newt laughs with him.
The doctor places a black shiny cap connected to wires on Newt's head.
"3,2,1....."

Newt
Everything around him looks too bright. The people around him look washed out and old. He wriggles around.
"Newton. Your name is Newton. Your friends call you Newt." The man in a white robe repeats.
"My name is Newton. My friend's call me Newt." He repeats.
"Who are my friends?" Newt asks, curiously.
"I'm your friend." A boy with black hair and big eyes says from beside him.
Newt doesn't recognise anything in him, and finds no comfort in his words or in any prospect of his face.
"I'm sorry, but I've never seen you in my life."

hi hi hi
its been almost 9 weeks since my last chapter srry school started, i wasn't inspired etc. etc.
this isnt read thru or edited, but enjoy.
i love uuu
h