Chapter 15

1991

Snow poured down from the sky. A Hydra base sat hidden in the mountains. Inside, the large metal doors swung open and a soldier approached a safe. He punched in the code on a keypad. There was a click and release of air as the small door slid up revealing a small, red leather book that had a black star on it.

A technician raises a cylindrical chamber, revealing a man with a metal arm who was hooked up to wires and breathing tube.

Two guards carry the man into another room and secured him in a chair. They strap a mechanical device on to either side of his face. It sends electric shocks through his body, causing the Winter Soldier to howl in pain.

A man stands to the side, reading from the little red book. " Желание. Ржавый. Семнадцать. Рассвет. Печь. Девять. Добросердечный. Возвращение на родину. Один. Грузовой вагон ( Longing. Rusted. Seventeen. Daybreak. Furnace. Nine. Benign. Homecoming. One. Freight car.)"

The device is removed the soldiers face and the man with the book moves so he is now standing in front of his man.

" Доброе утро, Солдат (Goodmorning solider)."

" Я готов отвечать (ready to comply)," Bucky Barnes answeres.

2016

Jo's hand began to shake as she reached for her coffee. She quickly withdrew her hand, spotting the waitress who was glancing at her.

"You alright hun?"

"Yeah, just waiting for it to cool down." Jo smiled at the woman. The waitress nodded and walked on.

"Says the girl who likes her coffee so hot I'm pretty sure it could be considered lava" Phil mumbled as he sat down across from Jo. "How's rehab going?"

"As good as to be expected," Jo held up her hand that was still slightly shaking. "Tony's mentioned some experiments he could do to repair the nerves, but I turned him down."

"You still wear the gloves."

"The scars are a bit more than most people's stomachs can handle."

"I still don't understand," Phil shook his head as he spoke. "Why'd you, do it?"

Jo sighed, "I've talked about this."

"Yes, yes, you wanted to make it bleed! But you kept hitting even after you knew it wouldn't."

"I couldn't make it bleed, so I made me bleed," Jo stated, looking out the window of the diner. "How do you like being the director?"

"It sucks!" Coulson spat. "Kind of wish I was an agent again."

Jo shook her head and smiled. "But we all know you're the best man for the job."

"So, where's your dad?" Phil asked ignoring Jo's comment.

"On a mission."

"And you're not there because...?"

"He doesn't think I'm ready," Jo growled, recalling her argument with Steve.

"It's been a year! Doesn't he know about the solo missions you've been on?"

"Of course not! He'd flip! Honestly, the man looks at like a broken child. Makes me miss the days of being alone."

Phil nodded in understanding. "You always have a place at Shield, if you want it."

"That'd be going from one team to another," Jo shook her head.