Tint of Summer

"Does this look cakey?" After I finished tutorials on some of the customers, this middle aged lady dressed in loose shirt and sweatpants approached me and has been repeatedly asking the same questions for the last ten minutes. It wasn't because of her garlic breath that sets me off but the way she treats me like I'm some kind of a low-class person. 

"For the last time, you have to prime before you put on a foundation so it doesn't look cakey."

"What should I use then?"

A primer.

"Well, you can try this Benefit primer, this Too faced primer is good too. If you want you can buy this Cover Fx Blurring Primer. It is perfect to cover up those pores and set your mak-"

"You all trying to sell me expensive stuff. I'm only spending $5 for that."

"Ma'am, this is a Sephora outlet. If you like a cheaper primer then you should try the drugstore ones."

"Yeah. Whatever. What's even in these tubes? Gold? Will it magically cleanse my soul?"

This dumb bitch!

Deep breaths. As much as I would like to slap this woman, I have to be nice. Good thing my manager, Vicki stepped in and cut off the conversation before I transform into Godzilla.

"Ma'am excuse me." She turned to me. "Jaz, it's your break in five. Maddie's going to pitch in now."

"Thank God."

I let myself off as Vicki introduced Maddie to assist the not so nice customer. I have been working in this beauty industry for about two years now and I am working and saving for a long time to also set my cosmetics brand. I know it's a long shot but just thinking of having my own company. But right now, I'm stuck to deal with the snottiest customers on the planet. 

When you work at a retail store, there will be lots of times where you're going to encounter treatments like this. We are human beings too. And it would be better if you treat us such.

As soon as I enter the lunch room, my girl, Nina is there. Over the years, we've became closest of friends. She has a perfect caramel colored skin and a killer green eyes that just turns a playa into a good boy. She is about to take her first bite of her salad when I sit down.

"Dieting sucks."  

"I know. Gurl, stop playin' and just eat your damn burger. Here I brought you some."

"No. Screw you, Jaz. I don't have a faster metabolism like you do. Don't tempt this bish."

"Mhm. Your funeral."

She opened her radio app as always and we tune in to Micki Max  while we eat our lunch.

"...That was On the Loose by Niall Horan, brought to you by Joys Life, your number one travelling companion. This is your radio wingman, Micki Max hooking you up with the hottest tunes on the planet."

*Signature sound effect.

"Now, I have an exciting news for all of you listeners out there. You've all been waiting for this!"

*Drum roll 

"We will have our 5th annual Hip radio's DREAM SUMMER VACATION to lovely Bahamas wherein we send 2 of our lucky listeners could enjoy. All expenses paid for the whole week. Imagine, chillin' your whole week off. Lit!

*Gasp

"So, call --------- and you might be our next Dream Summer Vacation winner!"

"Give me your phone, Jaz. Now!"

"What?"

"Come on!"

Before I can react, she fished my phone on my purse and starts dialing the number.

"First caller...Here we go!"

I literally jumped out of my seat when Nina screamed.

"Micki Max from Hip radio, what's you name first caller?"

"Nina Hernandez. Oh my gosh, I love you! I'm so happy." That made me roll my eyes.

"Settle down now girl, whoa! Before you win the contest, I will play a line f the song and you should sing it. The lyrics should be on point. Bonus question for you at the. If you answered it correctly then hot damn, you're in."

"Okay, I'm in."

"Are you in it to win it?!"

"Yes! I have my friend here with me, is it okay if like she plays too?"

"Hmm...of course! What's your name?"

"Jaz." We better win now.

"Jaz, are you ready to play? I f you two win then hello to Bahamas!"

I look at Nina and says, "Uh, hell, yeah!"

"Summer songz, song number one."

  And I get high with my baby 

Oh. it's on.

"I just left the mall, I'm getting fly with my baby, yeah
And I can ride with my baby
I be in the kitchen cooking pies with my baby."

It's funny we are literally doing our money dance, flipping our hands in the air like the queens.

"Perfecto! We got some queens in the house!"

"Yup. You better buckle up.", I said while flipping my hair. 

"Wow. Song number two. Play!"

I got that li-li-li-like

I know exactly what that song is. Huh, I have that on my playlist.

"Pull up, pull up, pull up straight from Tokyo
You cannot believe it when we come through"

*Applause sound effect

"Now you completed the round 1, now it's time for the bonus question. I will give 3 clues, you'll have to guess who it is. Ready?"

"Yeah!"

"Bring it."

"Disney. Wolves. It's he/her birthday today, July 22!"

Long pause.

"S-Selena?" Nina guessed.

"Selena? Selena Gomez."

"Are you sure?"

"Well, she's from Disney. She has a song called, 'Wolves'."

"I'm sorry."

"What? No."

"I'm sorry for the next caller but I think we have a clear winner!"

Out of impulse, we jump and scream that we won the vacation trip. This is so cool. We hug each other and scream louder.

"Two wild gals over here. Congratulations, Nina and Jaz. We will contact you with the infos..."

"Oh my God. This is surreal," Nina exclaimed.

"I know, right."

We were cut off by Ella who just entered the room, looking at us like we're nuts.

"Guys, lunch break's over. Vicki wants to see you at the counter."

"Yes, we'll be right there." Nina said.

Looks like we got ourselves a ticket to the Bahamas.