Awakening

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, okay? The place is cold.

We were on our sundress and sandals and a gush of icy wind hits us like with a force. Up into our bus we are literally clinging at each other. As we get into the bus to out hotel, we can only see pine trees. Like, we're in the middle of nowhere.

"Dude, I can see the real difference from the Bahamas!" Nina shivers, annoyed-I should say.

"I feel you girl. I thought this place is going to be like in Baywatch."

"You mean, Twilight. The only difference is nobody is crazy about somebody."

The resort is kind of good plus the hotel. We can't really complain given that everything was free. I can't really say anything good about the weather because it's so gloomy and it's like we're the only tourists foolish enough to come. The waves are crashing in like a rhythmic force.

We are staying at a two bedroom suite and it's decent with two single size beds, a small flat screen tv, coffeee table, a mini bar, clean carpets and a huge glass windows. There is a small but clean bathroom at the right side of the room and two mahogany closet resting near the door.

"I'm hungry." Nina said, lying on her bed near the window.

"I saw a convenience store nearby. Let's go."

We grab a few snacks and buy burgers along the way. As I am about to sit on a chair, I see an old woman, about 5ft who wears dirty worn-out clothing. She has a very pale skin and her gray hair tucked into a messy bun. For a moment, she looks at me then waves her hand for me to go closer. I felt bad for the homeless old lady. She must be starving.

"I'm sorry but I don't have money with me but here." I give her my burger and orange juice.

Suddenly, she grabs my hand which frightens me. Her looks at me with a blank expression and says in a breathy tone, "Regina."

I look behind me just in case she's calling somebody. "Who? No, I'm not-"

"Tu autem regina." I can't quite understand what she's saying and to be honest it's kind of freakin' me out.

Her grip on my wrist becomes tighter and it grows hotter it's as if my skin comes in contact with fire. "Let go of me!" She repeats the chant over and over. The veins on her face showing.

A tap causes me to turn away and face Nina, holding her cup of coffee. "Are you okay?"

I look at where the old woman has been but she's gone. Just like that.

WHAT THE F!

"Yeah...So, why are you smiling."

"Well, the guy at the cash register, Mike, invited us to go to a bonfire near the shore." She points at a tall and skinny red haired guy who is talking to customer.

"Finally!"

"I know, right?"

As we are walking towards our hotel, I wonder what just happened. A chill runs down my body and causing me to shiver.

The night comes and we both get ready for the bonfire Mike invited us to. I am wearing my red fitted shirt,  shorts and flip flops cuz your girl is keeping it casual tonight! And I dunno because we don't know anybody. So, we'll just see what happens, okay?

There are about twenty people around and all of them are drinking when we arrive. It's not what we expected since we won that challenge in the radio but I think this is as good as it gets. We are chillin' on a bonfire, trying to meet some cool people. The night progresses and we are laughing and just having a good time telling stories and everything. 

"Take this and I promise it's good." A guy in a hawaiian shorts whispers to me suspiciously. He is so creepy that he actually smells like piss.

"Hold up! I don't know you. Get away from my face!"

"Okay. Geez, woman."

"Oh yeah geez, you tryna sell me some drugs."

"Nina hands me a mojito. "Here."

"Let's celebrate! Summer!"

I take a long sip of the drink. It's pretty good.

"Look at that guy. He's been clocking you for forever." I said. The guy is in his early thirties with a baseball cap and khaki shorts. He smiles in our direction and which Nina repaid by winking. I can't register the scene that is taking place in front of me because of a weird headache that I am feeling. It's like everything is starting to move sideways like when you're in a boat.

"I am so going to score tonight." She takes one glance at me. "So, is it kicking?"

"W-what?"

"Don't be mad at me but I slipped a little something in your mojito."

"What?"

"I took one myself too. It's from the guy at the door. He sold me two."

"Bish, you drugged me!" And with that, everything is swirling. My hands feel like cotton and everything is moving fast. "I'm gonna kill you after this."

I can only remember tidbits of information. I can remember drinking ample amount of alcohol that I cannot recognize. I start dancing and I am not the only one. People around me are also getting ecstatic and throwing away stuff. That's when I knew that there's a fight going on. I try to jump off the huge stone formation but it's slip which cause me to fall face first onto the ground.

Before I blacked out, I can still see silhouettes moving before my eyes. The tallest shadow engulf me in a warm embrace, and lift me up as if I weigh nothing.

____________________

I open my eyes to the coldness of the rough concrete that I am lying on my back. I squint at the bright light that surrounds me and from a distance I can hear a melodic low hum. A smell of what seems to be citrus fills my senses.

Am I...dead? In heaven, maybe?

Shit if it's hell.

As I am about to sit up, what looks to be a spear almost impale me. I hurriedly move away from the assailant and almost fall on the ground. This is the second time now, Jaz. Stop falling!

At this point, I can't really see anything. It's all a blur.

Two large pairs of hands hold me down in a supine position. My arms and limbs are on the verge of pulling away from my body.

I scream and tug, trying to get away from all of this madness. But all of those efforts did not budge. What is happening?!

A man's voice startles me as I can feel him just a few inches away from me.

"Hoc est initium nostrae regina!" And the people behind him cheer, loud enough that my eyes are about to pop.

This is the beginning with our Queen! 

I mentally applaud myself if not for my current situation. It's like I understand every single word that he's saying. It's like understanding French without even learning it. Magic...

Bullets of sweat cascaded through my face and chest as I breathe heavily. My arms shaking and heart is beating like crazy. I can feel him coming closer to me. I can feel his eyes on me. I try to look his way but all I can see is pure brightness. Not until he's towering over me that I get to register his face.

"Oh my goodness Lord."

He is not human.