SEVENTY TWO

"ew, i don't even know how to approach this," dan laughed and shook his head. he avoided eye contact with phil as best he could, picking at his nails instead with anxiety. "okay so, um, being naked makes this 100 times worse but i don't want to get out because then i'll never tell you."

"what's going on?" phil slowly took dan's hands in his to stop him from picking. "i swear to god, if you pull an engagement ring out of your asscrack–"

"no, no. it's nothing like that."

"why are you dragging this on? i'm a little worried."

"my heart is beating so fast, i think i'm going to die. do you remember how i was a little quick to jump on your hookup offer at first?"

"yes, you looked desperate but i didn't care because i was too."

"and you know the one time i was like dodie would never let me live it down or something? then that one day i was acting kind of weird when you invited me to eat lunch with you?"

"yes, i suppose?"

"well, i kinda-sorta had a teeny-tiny crush on you from the first day i saw you in the office. i didn't know how to talk to you and i shit my pants when you messaged me. i was so glad you were talking to me i didn't care it might've been a one time thing."

"you asshole!" phil said. "i thought you did something horrible! i thought you were gonna confess your alliance with a drug ring or something!"

"listen! i had to make it more dramatic!" dan squealed as phil caught him by the waist when dan tried to get away.

"why do i put up with you? you lead me to believe you're gonna confess your criminal life but you just told me you had a crush on me–wait. you said the first time seeing me, your first day? dan, you were waiting four years for me to talk to you?"

"maybe." dan spun around in phil's
arms, ignoring the fact they were naked as he pressed their bodies together. "it worked out though, didn't it?"

"yeah. it did."