xvii ; dinner (and a show)

"Yoongi, would you mind answering the door?" Jin asked, and Yoongi jolted out of his daze. The food had smelt so good that he had completely zoned out, and he hadn't even heard the doorbell ring.

"Sure," he answered, getting up from his seat at the kitchen table and walking out to the door of the apartment.

Yoongi and Hoseok had arrived perfectly on time, which was unsurprising considering they lived in the flat directly above Jin and Namjoon's. However, it was now 6:20pm and Yoongi's stomach was protesting being made to wait for the three youngest of their group. Under his breath, Yoongi mumbled a threat to the three.

However, he was only made it halfway through the promise to kill (or at least severely maim) when he opened the door and saw the two idiots he was friends with, posing dramatically. He told himself that the reason he was shocked into silence was because of their stupidity, not because they looked (better than the meal Jin was cooking) nice.

Taehyung and Jimin had both dressed to impress, or maybe that was just how they always looked whenever they had the motivation. Yoongi had always thought that Taehyung just had the ability to look stylish in anything, because - somehow - he still looked good when he showed up to their study sessions in sweatpants and a bedhead. However, in black ripped jeans and a denim jacket, he looked like a fucking model. And Jimin - dressed in a red and black striped top that was just on the right side of too big for him, partly showing his left shoulder and collarbone, and tight jeans - was dressed perfectly to make Yoongi's mind go exactly where he didn't want it to go.

Mouth still trying to form words, Yoongi simply decided to step back and let them step into the apartment. As the two walked past him, Yoongi's gaze followed them until he caught sight of their asses and he quickly returned his eyes to the door, swallowing thickly. A pang of confusion hit him as he tried to figure out which one of them had caused the butterflies in his stomach when he realised that both of them were the cause.

Jungkook was still standing out in the hall, watching them with an ever-suffering expression. As excited cries of, "Hobi hyung!!" erupted from the apartment, Yoongi caught sight of a smile twitching at Jungkook's mouth.

"You came with them?" Yoongi asked, gesturing for Jungkook to come in.

"Yeah, I moved into their building, I live down the hall from them," the younger answered as he entered the apartment. "Jimin hyung was my neighbour back in Busan so whenever he heard I was moving to Seoul, he insisted I moved into his building."

"That sounds... interesting," Yoongi smirked as they headed into the main room, where Hoseok was sitting on Jimin's stomach and tickling mercilessly, while Taehyung simultaneously videoed the attack and pretended to try pull Hoseok off the squealing dancer.

"Yeah," Jungkook said, looking at Yoongi with a blank face. "Interesting."

            *

After dinner, none of them were fit to do anything. Seokjin had managed to put their plates into the sink before Namjoon had pulled him over to snuggle on the armchair. Taehyung and Hoseok had produced the bottles of alcohol they had brought with them, and Jimin had looked equal parts excited and wary.

"I don't remember what happened last time I got drunk off a bottle of your alcohol, Hobi hyung," Jimin had whined, inspecting the bottle carefully. "And I think that's a bad thing."

"I have the videos if you want to see," Taehyung had said helpfully, a pleasant smile on his face. The smile was gone quickly as Jimin began protesting loudly, beating Taehyung's back with tiny clenched fists. "Video? What video? I don't know anything about a video, what even is a video?"

Jimin had folded his arms and huffed, pouting his lips and narrowing his eyes childishly. He had been able to ignore Taehyung for a whole five seconds as Taehyung wrapped his arms around Jimin's waist and made a high pitched whining noise, before Jimin's face split into a smile.

"I promise this one is safe, Jiminie," Hoseok had smiled, tapping the bottle. "Look - the seal isn't broken, so it's perfectly fine!"

Apparently, that was all the persuasion Jimin needed, and then the shot glasses were being set out. Yoongi - who had been given pouring duty - paused as he got to Jungkook, wedged in between Jimin and Hoseok. The youngest was half on Hoseok's lap, but neither seemed too upset with this arrangement.

"Are you old enough to drink, Jungkook?" Yoongi had asked, eyebrows raised.

Jungkook had smiled, and Yoongi realised he'd been asked this a lot. "I really am," he laughed, reaching for his pocket. "Wanna see my ID?"

Yoongi has chuckled. "Nah, we trust you," he answered, pouring him a hearty glass of soju.

That had been forty minutes ago, and now the seven of them were at vary degrees of intoxication. Taehyung was a lightweight but keen to prove he wasn't one, so he had quickly downed multiple shots and was now smiling drowsily at Yoongi. Jimin, not one to be shown up by his best friend, had taken as many shots as Taehyung, but he could hold his drink significantly better. Jungkook was seemingly taking his time, but was definitely toeing the line between sober and tipsy. Hoseok was a hyper puppy at the best of times, but with alcohol he was fifty times worse. He stood up several times to dance along to the music that played from Taehyung's phone, which meant Jungkook repeatedly got displaced from his position on Hoseok's lap. He visibly pouted every time Hoseok got up, which probably wouldn't have been the case if he was any more sober. Seokjin and Namjoon, ever the responsible and basically-married couple, were calmly drinking wine as they cuddled on the sofa, occasionally joining the conversation but mainly just chatting to each other and making out every so often (but the others pretended not to notice that).

"How about we watch a movie?" Jungkook suggested, clearly hoping that a film could keep Hoseok still so they could cuddle more securely. Yoongi, drowsy from the amazing food, quickly agreed to the idea and - with a little persuasion - Hoseok, Jimin and Taehyung had agreed as well.

Jimin sat down on the sofa beside Yoongi, so Taehyung sat down on Jimin's other side. Hoseok claimed the other armchair and was quickly joined by Jungkook curling up on his lap, not that it took much persuasion. From Seokjin's wide selection of family films, they chose one that everyone had seen before and settled into an intoxicated, content silence.

            *

Taehyung woke gently, squinting his eyes in the bright moonlight pouring in from the window. Opposite him, Hoseok and Jungkook were sleeping soundly in the armchair and he smiled softly. Bone tired and unwilling to get up to close the covers on the windows, he carefully turned over to put his back to the window.

And that's when he felt his blood run cold.

Jimin was in Yoongi's lap, with the older's large hands on his hips, as they kissed quietly. They were almost silent and, with enough willpower, Taehyung probably could have closed his eyes and pretended that the guy he was crushing on and his best friend weren't making out right beside him. But he had never had that much willpower. Before his thoughts had caught up to his body, he was moving, grabbing shoes in one hand and a jacket in the other - he wasn't even sure if the items were his. All he could think about was escaping the apartment.

So that's what he did. He hurried out of the room, ignoring the calls of his name behind him, and ran. Outside the apartment building, he realised that - although the shoes were his - he had someone else's jacket in his hand. He had no key to his apartment. He sighed deeply, pulling on his shoes and making his way down the street, his heart heavy with regret.