Chapter Eight: GRANDparents And Memories In The rain

This week in school has gone a lot better than I had expected it to. Max and I are friends again maybe even closer than before but I don't know. He still shows me mixed feeling sometimes.
If you forgot I'm a werewolf which means that I still have to shift. My birthday is tomorrow on Friday and then I shift on Saturday. It also means I get to find my mate soon. Kira has been talking non stop about it since Tuesday.
"I wonder what we're going to look like?" Oh God. She's at it again.
"I want to be brown with black. That would be so cool!!" She started jumping around.
"Hey Bea. You're looking a little distracted." Max said taking his seat next to me in chem.
"I was just having a conversation with Kira my wolf." I said. He chuckled.
"Kira is a beautiful name. I think I've hear Tuck mention it a couple times. Tuck is my wolf." He explains.
"That's weird because Kira is talking about Tuck almost non stop!" I roll my eyes playfully and he chuckles again. Miss.Bennetts walls into the class and we all pay attention as we start our lab. Exploding things and friction. Woo!
After school Max comes over to hang out with Dom. They have a skit to work on for drama class. They supposedly say their going to use me in their skit also which means I might get out of German class! But I don't have my hopes up to high.
"Kids dinner is ready!" My mom calls up the stairs. Simultaneously Dom and I wheel our chairs back and look at each other across the hall. We stare. Max looks at us confused until we just up simultaneously again and race down the stairs. I beat Dom to it and slide down the railing. He follows and I un gracefully fall off the edge and he lands on my for good measure.
"You guys!" Mum says walking out of the kitchen. Dad comes up behind her and laughs at me and Dom's position. He kisses Mums cheek and Dom and I scrunch up our noses. Dom gets up but doesn't offer me any help.
"Thank you sir fat head." I say. Max helps me up like a gentleman and even pulls out my seat for me at the dinner table. Mum makes him sit in between Dom and I so we can't bother each other.
We eat dinner making small talk about school and Max's up coming Alpha title. Then we get on the subject of my birthday.
"So seventeen years old. Time really flies." Dad said. He looked at me lovingly across the table. I blushed a little and smiled.
"When she shifts it's going to be awesome!! I plan on being there." Dom says ruining the moment completely.
"Gosh Dom you ruined the moment." Max says voicing my thoughts. Everyone laughs. Leave it to Max to lighten the mood. That's why he will be the perfect Alpha.
"So do you know where you want to go?" Mum asks me. I shake my head no and take a bite of steak.
"You could go to the clearing? That's where I shifted." Dom said. I shook my head. I wanted it to be my very own place.
When werewolves shift they choose a special place that means a lot to them because it's like giving birth but a lot less painful and it's not messy and you can do it yourself or with a bunch of people and it's a dog not a baby and you don't have to pay for Heath care...okay that was a really bad example.
"I'm not a dog!!" Kira shouted at me. Oops. "Yeah oops." She retorted.
Anyway when you pick your place to shift it's supposed to be special to you. Like prom. That's a much better example. You really only have one shot and you spend quite a bit of time prepping for it. Maybe not a life time but you get the picture.
"You could go to the Over Look where we had that one really awkward date in seventh grade?" Max offered. I laughed and shook my head.
"Let's not bring that up." I said in between giggles. Everyone laughed as Max and I turned red.
See, Max thought it would be really sweet to take me out on a date because this is when he had started getting interested in girls. Well, we had a picnic and it had started off really well; Our parents dropped us off and promised not to come back no matter what for a whole hour, but then it started to rain. Now our town is fairly big and it could be raining on one side of town but not the other. So naturally Mother Nature blessed us with rain and our parents back home with sunshine. Well it down pored and the only coverage we had was the picnic blanket with was slowly starting to get completely soaked. Max was a little gentleman and took off his t shirt and gave it to me for extra warmth. Which did a minimal amount for me but hey, it's the thought that counts, right?
Max said we could hide under the trees but there wasn't much room. So he crawled in first and then I ended up laying on top of him. So here we are a girl wearing a soaked sun dress with a large t shirt over top laying on top of a shirtless boy under a tree because of the storm. All wrapped up in a picnic blanket. When our parents came back it had stopped raining and we had straightened ourselves out before they had arrived. We vowed not to tell them until just last year it slipped out and we had to tell the story to everyone.
"You know now that I think about it, it's a pretty perfect place to shift, the Over Look." I said after recalling our first "date."
"Great we'll drive thee and drop you off but then take the cars home and walk there so we can all go running like we did with Dom." Dad said. I smiled at him and he winked at me. That was his thing winking.
{Friday}
I've gotten lots of birthday wishes from lots of people I don't really know and people I know very well. Teachers are congratulating me and saying how glad they are to watch me grow up. It was really heart warming. But at the same time a little uncomfortable.
"Ready to go home Bea?" Dom asked me at the end of the school day.
"Yes." I sighed. Today was busy. Max and the twins were getting picked up because their grandmother wasn't doing so well so they were going up to visit her for the weekend. I got to sit in the front for once.
"You sound drained. Better take a nap right when we get home." Dom said pulling out of the parking lot. I nodded and leaned my head against the window. On the way out some people waved at me and I gave them my best smile and wave. I sorta felt like a princess.
"Mum also has food made for you so eat and then go take a nap." Dom said. I just nodded my head. Talking seemed like lots of work right now.
My phone started buzzing in my bag and I had to dig around for it. Dom laughed at my ring tone it was Oops I Did It Again by Britney Spears. What? It's my jam!
"Hello?" I said into my now silent phone.
"Happy Birthday Beanie Baby!" A rough voice rang through my phone speaker.
"Thank you Grandpa Marl." I said. He sure knew how to make a statement.
"So the big one-seven huh?" He said with a chuckle at the end.
"Yep but only for a year." I teased him back. He laughed his big rolling laugh. I hit his funny bone.
"And how about that shifting deal?" He asked happily.
"How about it? Well I'm going to the Over Look. Max suggested it." I said trying not to drag this conversation out.
"Grandma wants to talk to you now. That sounds great kiddo and it's really nice to hear your voice." Grandpa Marl said.
"You to Grandpa Marl. You keep punching and breathing." I say that to him every time we talk on the phone. It's like saying live long and prosper but on a family level.
"Beatrice. Beatrice Beatrice Beatrice." Grandma Carol said. I giggled. "Your cute little laugh hasn't change a bit!" she roared in to the phone. She is a very loud woman.
"Grandma it's good to hear you" I said trying to get on with the conversation and having both good ears.
"So I've been listening in and I didn't hear one thing about a mate." She said scolding me and Grandpa Marl.
"Well..yeah.." I said. I haven't really thought about a mate.
"Oh honey I'm just teasing! I'll leave that up to you two. And by two I mean you and your Mate." She said over explaining things as always.
"Yes Grandma Carol. I'm not that slow." I said reassuringly.
"Ok dear. I was just explaining myself." She confirmed. I could picture her shrugging her shoulders and putting her hands up.
"Just tell her you love her and say good bye dearest." Grandpa Marl said in the back ground. "She sounds tired." Grandma Carol sighed.
"It was lovely talking to you sweet heart. Best luck to you and your shift tomorrow and happy happy happy birthday." She called in to the phone.
"Keep punching and breathing Beanie Baby!" Grandpa Marl shouted. I smiled.
"Love you both." I said. I just about ended the call.
"Tell Dominic hi for us too Bea." Grandma Carol said. Dom waved I shifted again.
"He says hi." I said rubbing my eyes. I took my glasses off.
"Okay dear. It was good talking. Good luck, happy birthday and lots of love!" She said. I sighed.
"Yep bye!" I ended the call before she could say anything else. Grandparents are sure Grand.
🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄