Chapter Nine: The Shift

"Bye Mia! See you tomorrow at the Over Look!" I called over my shoulder. Mia had just dropped me off at home after throwing me a surprise birthday party. She's such a great friend.
Everyone was there except for Max and the twins. It felt like something was missing the entire time but I still had a great time. Dom got me a box of condoms for my birthday because he knew it was "that time" as he put it. Mum and dad got me the T3i Canon camera. I was pumped. Grandma Carol and Grandpa Marl had sent me a letter in the mail with a card and 100 dollars. Mia got me some makeup and the entire Wheel of Time book series. I was so excited that I jumped on her and made her fall on Dom.
Once I was inside I dragged all my gifts up stairs to my room. I put all my new books on a very sad empty spot on my book shelf. It tied the room together. I placed the makeup and condoms in my bathroom. I put the cash in my wallet and then started setting up my camera.
I had decided quite awhile ago that I wanted to make a YouTube channel. I wasn't into the outfit of the day thing or make up tutorials but I was very creative and had tons of DIY ideas. My phone had a list of things I have already done my self and another list of things I want to try.
I set up my camera in the corner on the tripod. My room was very bright and since I had the French doors also and they helps with lots of natural lighting.
By the time I was done playing around with my camera it was 10:40 pm. I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and then put on my pj's and climbed into bed. Tomorrow was a big day but I still felt like I was missing something.
As I drifted off to sleep I thought about Max and how I wished he would be here when I shifted.
{Saturday}
I woke up bright and early to watch the sun rise as usual and then decided I would begin the first book in The Wheel of Time series.
I had gotten to chapter four when I decided to take a shower and go down stairs.
"Good morning honey." My mom said to me as I entered the kitchen.
"Morning." I replied with a large smile.
"Tea?" She offered me an empty cup.
"Yes please." I answered. This was a very talkative morning for me.
"Hey there shifter." Dom said as he walked into the kitchen. He was all clean and looking awake.
"Hey." I said as mum handed me a cup of fresh tea. I held it with both hands and took small sips.
"So Bea. How are you feeling?" Mum asked me. She looked very happy about me shifting today.
"Kira hasn't stopped pacing and she woke me up even before the sun had thought about rising." I said laughing.
"Well it is a very big day for both of you." Mum said. I nodded and then noticed dad wasn't in his normal spot drinking coffee and reading something.
"Where's dad?" I asked sipping more tea.
"Since Alpha Leo's mother isn't doing very well he asked you father to watch over things while he was away. He won't be there tonight when you shift but he said he will be thinking of you all day." Mum explained watching me closely.
"That sucks." I said. "Why did he leave? Can't he just do it from home?" I asked.
"Well they were having trouble with a rogue pack and they needed him to take a team out and search for them." Mum said. She held my hand and rubbed soft circles on my palm.
"That's ok. I hope he doesn't get hurt." I said.
"Please. Dad is tough as steel nails." Dom said. I smiled.
{11:55 pm}
"Ready?" Kira asked.
"Ready." I said back. We were standing out on the Over Look. Mum, Dom, Mia, Lane and Derek all stood behind me in their wolf forms.
I moved back and forth on my feet. People say it hurts a lot and other people say it's quick and painless. I hope it's the second one but if I have to endure the first option I would do it. I really have no choice though. It still felt like something was missing. I shrugged off the feeling it's probably because dad isn't here.
*Whenever your ready Bea.* Mum mind linked me. I smiled and then nodded.
We can shift whenever we want as long as your mentally ready and Mum said it's much more calming to do it right before midnight.
I let my mind start to wander and search for Kira's. She was doing the same thing. Our minds twisted together becoming one and then our heart beats became one. Slowly our bodies synchronized and we began to shift.
My bones were growing and moving. My skin was beginning to get covered in fur. Dark fur. My face shaped into a muzzle and I went down on my hands and knees.
The pain was bearable. I watched my hands turn into paws. White paws. My entire body was humming and shifting now. It felt like a cage was being lifted between Kira and I.
With one last wave of pain it was over. The grass moved for the wind I created when I shifted. The first time you shift it's like your first breath into the world as a wolf.
*Bea your beautiful!* Mia mind linked me. I turned my now big head in their direction and they all looked back at me in amazement.
*Lets test Kira.* I said. They all hopped around eager and then started in a slow trot. I let Kira begin to take over. Then all at once they all broke into a sprint. Kira was right with them.
The first run you go on is usually lead by your parents or a family member so Lane, Mia and Derek all stayed back.
Mum and Dom were very fast but Kira soon set a nice but mind blowing pace. We were dodging branches and smelling new smells. My eyes were adjusted to the darkness but I was feeling more than actually seeing.
I smelled the grass and moist dirt. But then a new smell invaded my nose. Mum and Dom. Together their sent was musky and sweet. I enjoyed all my heighten senses and then heard something running in the distance. It sounded like a deer.
*Stop.* Mum said. Dom and I came to an abrupt stop and Mum began to smell the air.
*Rogues. Can you smell that?* She asked. I tilted my head back like she did and smelt the air. It smelled dangerous and filthy. We all stood facing different directions smelling the air.
*Their close.* Dom said. Then out of the bush catapulted a brown wolf with matted fur and sharp teeth.
Holy monkey balls and crackers. We're under attack.
😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧