Richard Gallon

What books/authors have influenced you and why?

Great Expectations and Rebecca are two classics that I re-read regularly. I love the scope Dickens has in his novels, lots of fleshed out and memorable characters involved in convoluted and clever plots, and Great Expectations runs the gamut of genres, you can find drama, horror, comedy, romance and adventure all in here . I think Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca is an amazing story of intrigue and mystery. The eerie atmosphere is conveyed brilliantly through the characters and setting, the house is a character itself, at once cold, beautiful and mysterious, mirroring the dominating presence of Rebecca from beyond the grave. Again, the plot is fantastically tight, keeping you guessing and desperate to read on. Dracula and Frankenstein are two other masterpieces that I continue to re-read, I love gothic fiction.

Stephen King and Dean Koontz are other favorites of mine. They take great care to invent depth of character with complex themes, this kind of crafting amounts to real impact when it comes to the horror and fantasy elements in a novel. But ultimately, I'll read anything that grabs my attention, and my tastes are pretty wide. Recently, I've read Us, by David Nicholls, really funny and at times very touching, but I raced through that in a couple of days because it was just so good. And All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy was so raw and sad, an American classic, I love everything by him.

How do you develop your plot and characters?

I read anything I can on how authors develop their plots and characters; as writers, we're always looking for that perfect format, but of course, eventually, you realize it's whatever works for you, and you just have to build that confidence in yourself and get on with the work. So from the moment a character or a story idea appears out of my imagination, I start thinking about a plot and hopefully develop a key scene or a clever plot twist, and then I begin writing. I don't really make detailed plans anymore because I never use them once I start. It's true that characters come alive once you can free yourself up and just start writing. It took me a long time to be comfortable with writing on through all the problems of a first draft and not going back over what's been written until its perfect because I never got to finish anything that way! For me, once I've got the first draft in place, it's a structure to work with, and then the redrafts slowly become that polished story you imagined in the first place.

What are your current projects?

Currently, I'm working on a sequel to The Monster's Riddle, which is the first in a supernatural thriller trilogy featuring psychic Dickens Heath. The first novel was so much fun to write, it's full of colorful characters involved in all sorts of mystery, mayhem, and murder, so I'm really enjoying entering that world again.

What does literary success look like to you?

I think it's knowing you've written the best book you could have, and then seeing it out there with lots of people enjoying your work, that would be really satisfying.

Richard is represented by Stephanie Hansen.